Feedback on my Foobar2k DSP chain?
Nov 29, 2016 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

dmbr

100+ Head-Fier
Hello! I've spent a lot of time perfecting my DSP chain over the years, and I'd really appreciate some feedback on the ordering in particular.

Hopefully this might give some of you ideas, too! I'd be happy to help with pointing interested people to the various things used.

Individual DSP settings:

1. Skip Silence [min silence duration: minimum setting max silence detection threshold: max setting]
  2. Resampler (SoX) mod #1 [this upsamples for the TDR Ultrasonic Filter to work]: Target: 192hz Quality: best Passband: 95% Allow Aliasing: yes
  3. TDR Ultrasonic Filter: http://imgur.com/a/fq58o
  4. Resampler (SoX) mod #2: Resamples back to 48khz
  5. Noise Sharpening: 7%
  6. Freesurround + Matrix Mixer + Dolby Headphones + Electri-Q: http://imgur.com/a/fq58o "laid back" config
  7. Relife settings: http://imgur.com/uyAgmVw
  8. Sonarworks: HD800 preset, wet/dry 53%

Thanks for any replies!

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 4
    1. Resampler (SoX) mod #1 [this upsamples for the TDR Ultrasonic Filter to work]: Target: 192hz Quality: best Passband: 95% Allow Aliasing: yes
    2. TDR Ultrasonic Filterhttp://imgur.com/a/fq58o
    3. Resampler (SoX) mod #2: Resamples back to 48khz

that part looks like a waste of CPU for no reason. unless I'm missing something, you upsample music that has no content at 30khz and above, just so that you can apply a low pass filter for 30khz and above, just before converting back to 48khz music that will obviously apply another low pass filter for half the sample rate. so I'm thinking: "but why?"
confused.gif

some stuff are a matter of taste and definitely depart from any concept of fidelity. the sequence to use them will just change the impact and you should use whatever order you enjoy more. (relife, noise sharpening , and all the stuff trying to simulate some surround sound).

the ebuR128 compressor, IMO isn't all that great and I personally use replay gain on my library instead. as far as I know the latest replay gain uses R128 standard.

sonawork is already an EQ, do you really need electriQ?

the advanced limiter IMO is kind of a "hide my mess" plug in. in a perfect world it won't ever activate, and if it does, it will likely be because some other vst would require to lower the gain. and as far as gain is concerned, as long as you're using something like the R128 or replaygain, I don't imagine the limiter would serve often.

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 4

that part looks like a waste of CPU for no reason. unless I'm missing something, you upsample music that has no content at 30khz and above, just so that you can apply a low pass filter for 30khz and above, just before converting back to 48khz music that will obviously apply another low pass filter for half the sample rate. so I'm thinking: "but why?"
confused.gif

some stuff are a matter of taste and definitely depart from any concept of fidelity. the sequence to use them will just change the impact and you should use whatever order you enjoy more. (relife, noise sharpening , and all the stuff trying to simulate some surround sound).

the ebuR128 compressor, IMO isn't all that great and I personally use replay gain on my library instead. as far as I know the latest replay gain uses R128 standard.

sonawork is already an EQ, do you really need electriQ?

the advanced limiter IMO is kind of a "hide my mess" plug in. in a perfect world it won't ever activate, and if it does, it will likely be because some other vst would require to lower the gain. and as far as gain is concerned, as long as you're using something like the R128 or replaygain, I don't imagine the limiter would serve often.

Thanks so much for the great reply!

Re: TDR Yeah, it's a new addition I'm trying out. Can't say I hear a real difference. Supposedly it can help with certain DSP's.

Re: R128 Does Replay Gain work with FLAC's?

Re: Sonarworks/electriQ ElectriQ attempts to neutralize what Dolby Headphones does to the EQ, then Sonarworks EQ's the sound to neutralize the bias of my HD800's sound signature.

Re: Advanced Limiter Eeee...well maybe I have some mess then :frowning2: I do notice times when it would be activating when I try leaving it out.

Dec 1, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 4
• Resampler (SoX) mod #1 [this upsamples for the TDR Ultrasonic Filter to work]: Target: 192hz Quality: best Passband: 95% Allow Aliasing: yes
I'm not particularly bright, so I'm asking for info.  If I understand aliassing, why do you use the 'yes' choice?  Does aliasing have to do with pre-ringing of a transient, or an I way off-base?
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back