Feedback and tips on my new sr225i
Feb 25, 2012 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

aaronius

New Head-Fier
Ok, I just got my new Grady sr225i's and I like the overall sound... However, I feel like I'm not getting the most out of them.  I use my computer and iPod to listen to my AAC files(320kbps).  I have to pump the volume all the way up on my computer and media player to get a comfortable volume.  I'm not hearing any "soundstage" at all.  I thought that since these were open back cans that they had that wide or surrounding type feel and they do not.  They honestly sound like it's all in my head not around me from different directions.  
Will an amp make a big difference and if so what's a good amp for under $200? Also, what is the soundstage supposed to be like for the sr225i? Any tips or advice on these would be appreciated. 

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #2 of 9
Grado headphones aren't known for having a big soundstage or wide imaging - it's just the "house sound." I'm scared to ask what you consider to be a "comfortable volume" - Grados are known to be both sensitive and low impedance, and can generally get ear-killingly loud from most anything.

Anyways, no, an amplifier will not change the nature of any headphones. If you want a big soundstage, you need a different headphone. Look at the "Soundstage Headphone Club" thread for examples. Here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/593365/the-soundstage-head-club

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #3 of 9
I just feel like I shouldn't have to max my volume to get a decent level.im not hard of hearing. Just as an example, my klipsch image one's output is vso good that the volume stays below 30%. I just find it odd that I have to crank the sr225i's up. Is there a possibility mine are defective? Or even a fake? I hope not. I paid full price from an online authorized dealer ( audio advice). More feedback from other sr225i owners is appreciated.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 9

Never heard of fake Grado headphones.

Regarding the output question (the scenario you're describing) - you're running these off of an iPod? Or your computer? 

Here's the measurements for both pairs of cans:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/GradoSR225i.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/KlipschImageOne.pdf

The Image One is more sensitive (0.07 mW for 90 dB as opposed to .42 mW for 90 dB - both of those are VERY small values though; 1 mW should be no problem from most devices). 

Perhaps an inexpensive amplifier would be for you, it'll let them get louder for sure. Fiio makes a few options (all of them should be under $100, some under $50; check Amazon). Won't change the soundstage or other limitations - they'll still be SR-225is - but it'll let them get louder. Curious that your devices can't take your head off with them though. Especially the iPod (you don't have the "volume limit" feature enabled by chance?). 

Quote:
I just feel like I shouldn't have to max my volume to get a decent level.im not hard of hearing. Just as an example, my klipsch image one's output is vso good that the volume stays below 30%. I just find it odd that I have to crank the sr225i's up. Is there a possibility mine are defective? Or even a fake? I hope not. I paid full price from an online authorized dealer ( audio advice). More feedback from other sr225i owners is appreciated.

Feb 25, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 9
OK, after comparing the output between my ipod and my computer the volume output is definitely better on the ipod.  So, no issue there.  But certainly an issue with my pc.  I thought for sure my PC would have the better output.  I don't have a dedicated sound card but I have a pretty high end motherboard and assumed it had decent audio.   So,  maybe I just need a better sound card or would you still suggest an amp like a Fiio E7 or something? 

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #6 of 9

It's probably a high quality output, but it's not surprising that it lacks a lot of power - it's designed to act as a line out (imagine a DVD player's output jacks). 

If the only issue is that it's not loud enough, just get an amplifier. If you want more features, or if you've got a buzzing/humming noise from the PC's jack, get a soundcard (some of them have amplifiers built in). Amplifier will probably be cheaper and easier (I'm saying this completely blind though, I haven't shopped for a soundcard in years).
Quote:
OK, after comparing the output between my ipod and my computer the volume output is definitely better on the ipod.  So, no issue there.  But certainly an issue with my pc.  I thought for sure my PC would have the better output.  I don't have a dedicated sound card but I have a pretty high end motherboard and assumed it had decent audio.   So,  maybe I just need a better sound card or would you still suggest an amp like a Fiio E7 or something? 

Feb 25, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the advice.  I will be investing in a decent inexpensive amp for my pc setup... In the meantime, I'll enjoy these awesome phones through my ipod.  Joe satriani has never sounded better!!!

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.  I will be investing in a decent inexpensive amp for my pc setup... In the meantime, I'll enjoy these awesome phones through my ipod.  Joe satriani has never sounded better!!!

Highly recommend his Live in Paris CD - it's tops!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back