Federer vs. Nadal for French Open Final... 3X in a row.
Jun 7, 2008 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

aaron313

Headphoneus Supremus
I love Federer, but he's no match for Nadal on clay. Nadal might be the greatest clay court player ever, and Federer the greatest grass/hard player ever. But I think it's going to be Nadal in straight sets for his fourth consecutive title. And then Fed will take the remaining two Slams.

Jun 7, 2008 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 57
as much as i hate to say this, federer MIGHT lose again but i dont think he will let it happen a third time. certainly not in straight sets. nadal is a snotty 12 year old and he needs to be taught to respect the game and the players and not be so flamboyant.

after all there is a reason why mc enroe (sp?) is mostly remembered for his antics and loud mouthed play and sampras while being calm and collected is remembered as the greatest (arguably). hell mc enroe isnt even in the top 5 in terms of most grand slams won...i am not saying he was a poor player, just that people usually respect players who respect the game more even if at the time some other player might be more entertaining.

federer > that twit...oh whats his name...nadal.

i apologise to anyone who like nadal but im sorry, that kid needs to learn how to present himself in front of the entire world. its the french open, not some high school tennis competition.

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by crappyjones123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
as much as i hate to say this, federer MIGHT lose again but i dont think he will let it happen a third time. certainly not in straight sets. nadal is a snotty 12 year old and he needs to be taught to respect the game and the players and not be so flamboyant.

after all there is a reason why mc enroe (sp?) is mostly remembered for his antics and loud mouthed play and sampras while being calm and collected is remembered as the greatest (arguably). hell mc enroe isnt even in the top 5 in terms of most grand slams won...i am not saying he was a poor player, just that people usually respect players who respect the game more even if at the time some other player might be more entertaining.

federer > that twit...oh whats his name...nadal.

i apologise to anyone who like nadal but im sorry, that kid needs to learn how to present himself in front of the entire world. its the french open, not some high school tennis competition.

I HOPE you are right about the result
smily_headphones1.gif
. But Nadal dismantled Novak Djokovic in his semi, while Fed sort of struggled against the 59th ranked player. I think that Nadal is a good person who respects the game, and is orders of magnitude less of a twit than McEnroe. But Federer is all class, but still has that confident swagger. He's a lot like Tiger Woods; he knows he is the best by a mile, and plays that role. But there is still the utmost respect for the sport and his competitors. Contrast that with Barry Bonds; he was such a c_ck to the media and everybody. He was the best by a mile, knew it, but disrespected the game and the media. There's a reason why everybody outside of SF hated the guy. Tiger and Fed are respected worldwide.

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 57
Nadal in 4

I hope Roger comes through though.

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #5 of 57
I REALLY want Fed to win but judging by Nadal's performance and determination, might not happen...again...

Down here at the west coast, I have to wake up every morning at 5am to watch it. Today was worse...4am...but thankfully the finals start at 6am instead.

Ajde Ana!!!!!

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #6 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I REALLY want Fed to win but judging by Nadal's performance and determination, might not happen...again...

Down here at the west coast, I have to wake up every morning at 5am to watch it. Today was worse...4am...but thankfully the finals start at 6am instead.

Ajde Ana!!!!!

I tried to watch it two years ago, but passed out early into the match.

Jun 7, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #7 of 57
meh...im backing federer until the day i die.

4 years ago i bet my friends that i would cook them all dinner separately if coria came back to win the final with a busted leg. he won the first 2 sets, lost the next 2 to gaudio and then despite the bad leg made efforts that were only matched by sampras in his epic match which seemed to go on for 17 days. he almost came back and won the 5th set but his injury leg prevented him from closing the deal. gaudio, a month later remarked that he won because he was the better player when he was getting his a** handed to him before coria's leg went bad. which is why i hate pompous and over confident players (the likes of gaudio and nadal) now.

i wish him the best of luck but i hope that federer smacks him silly with that NASTY backhand of his. god i love to see it just fluster people when they have no idea how a man could generate that much power with a one handed backhand return. i LOVE IT!

Jun 7, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #9 of 57
What I admire about Fed is that his strokes look so effortless while others like Nadal and the works grunk every few seconds and look like they are giving it everything they got.

Fed will be making history Sunday!

Come to think of it, both the #1s

Ivanovic and Federer have not won the French Open

I almost had a heart attack during the third set of the Ivanovic/Jankovic match. It was intense.

Time for them to take it this weekend!!!!!!

Jun 7, 2008 at 6:27 AM Post #10 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I admire about Fed is that his strokes look so effortless while others like Nadal and the works grunk every few seconds and look like they are giving it everything they got.

Fed will be making history Sunday!

Come to think of it, both the #1s

Ivanovic and Federer have not won the French Open

I almost had a heart attack during the third set of the Ivanovic/Jankovic match. It was intense.

Time for them to take it this weekend!!!!!!

Fed can hit his strokes like that because the plane on which he swings is so flat that he can just destroy the ball. He is talented enough to control those shots, where mere mortals (like Nadal) can use topspin to save their asses.

Jun 7, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 57
Please tennis god....let Fed win!!!

Guys, I would love to see Fed seal the deal and become the Grand Slam winner. His window of opportunities are closing fast in French Open. It will be interesting match that's for sure. As long as Fed goes for his shots and don't be too passive, he could definitely beat Nadal. I am really begin to appreciate what Nadal has accomplished. The two of them are class acts and a true champion. I am not a big fan of Djokovic as of right now but I could see him winning many slams when Federer stops playing. I miss Marat Safin!!

Jun 7, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #12 of 57
As much as I really want to see it, I don't think this is Fed's year. Nadal is too solid on Clay. He ripped Djokovic apart in his semi, and Djokovic was hardly playing like a slouch. Saying that Federer struggled in his semi is fair, but it's hardly a true representation of the game. Monfils played the game of his life.

With Nadal in-form, I can't see Federer being able to dominate, and it's only really when he is dominating that we see him at his scintillating best, the best he NEEDS if he is to stand any chance of taking anything from Nadal on clay.

Nadal in 4.

Jun 7, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #13 of 57
I like Nadal; think he is good for tennis. But like many of you will be rooting for Fed.

Do you guys remember Ivan Lendl the robo Czech? Like Fed, he dominated his era save for one event - Wimbledon. It became an obsession for him. His desire to win on grass, came to the point where he skipped the French to train for it and changed his game completely. Back then, it was unheard of for a baseliner to win at the All England Club, so he switched to s & v. He never could break through, surrending hisi two final appearances to Boris Becker and Pat Cash, two natural grass court players.

Now I can't help but think of Ivan when I see Fed on clay. Nadal in straight sets.

Jun 7, 2008 at 1:58 PM Post #14 of 57
woooooooooo!!!

Ajde Ana! Takes first set 6-4.

Anyone getting up early to watch tomorrow's? Nadal according to TSN leads 10-6 career against Federer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back