Favorite Violin Concerto - Composer and Performance
Jan 3, 2007 at 2:19 AM Post #91 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by amadeuswus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The documentary video "David Oistrakh: Artist of the People?" has excerpts from a live performance of Shostakovich 1 (cadenza and last movement). Even the orchestra players appear to be transfixed by his playing.

dang it, I want to see the entire shotakovich 1 RELEASED on dvd NOW!

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #92 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up Akiko Suwanai doing Bach Concertos on Itunes Music Store, lovely music! (ITMS has a bonus track on this as well)

Scott

What's the bit rate for Itunes classical. Is it just the standard 128 kbps AAC? You know they also have the Dausgaard Beethoven there! I'm trying like heck to get the cds, but in a pinch itunes might do (and at half the price) if the music isn't too compressed.

Jan 3, 2007 at 3:32 PM Post #93 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the bit rate for Itunes classical. Is it just the standard 128 kbps AAC? You know they also have the Dausgaard Beethoven there! I'm trying like heck to get the cds, but in a pinch itunes might do (and at half the price) if the music isn't too compressed.

Yes 128 is the rate they use on the ITMS, it'd be cool if they offerered lossless as an option (heck charge a $1 for lossless, I think audiophiles would pay it to get some of the material they offer losslessly). But I am pretty happy with what I have gotten, I've never sat their and cringed at an artifact from anything I have gotten there. They have done a lot of work to improve the sound of AAC compressed files as well.

Scott

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #94 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes 128 is the rate they use on the ITMS, it'd be cool if they offerered lossless as an option (heck charge a $1 for lossless, I think audiophiles would pay it to get some of the material they offer losslessly). But I am pretty happy with what I have gotten, I've never sat their and cringed at an artifact from anything I have gotten there. They have done a lot of work to improve the sound of AAC compressed files as well.

Scott

Forget the artifacts, it's the compression that worries me because I know that I would want to burn a copy to play on the speakers as well as on the ipod. I'd end up buying the itunes album and then buying the cd.
frown.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #95 of 97
It may be worth it to buy an album (or hell, even a track) and see what you thing. Maybe even something you already own, for comparison purposes.

Scott

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #96 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hm, I did not know Furtwangler was alive in 1994.

He was not.

Furtwangler's notable 9th's are from 1942, and the Bayruth performance of '51. The maestro died in 1954.

Jan 5, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #97 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope we're all making massive exaggerations when we say so and so plays badly because they all sound great at a concert
biggrin.gif

I'd pay millions and billions to play the Brahms with just a few errors and as "badly" as Perlman plays it.
tongue.gif
I wouldn't mind having Kremer's "forced and unatural" sound either...

In all fairness, if we really must be critical, the Brahms concerto has never really been a Perlman staple. I love his Beethoven (with C. M Giulini) and he has always done well with Tchaikovsky and Sibelius. His Brahms has less praise.

As fpr Kremer, I like him, but his Brahms (I believe) was recorded with Bernstien, who given his "Brahms Credentials" probably messed the damn thing up soimehow. That whole cycle is bizzare (trans: really super slow) and even the concertos have their "eh?" moments.

Let's not forget, though...you'd rather hear them play than me
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back