Favorite Opeth Album
Jul 17, 2003 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

johnny sack

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, A buddy and I are having a debate about which Opeth album is the best, and worst and everything in between.

If anyone has an opinion please contribute
smily_headphones1.gif

Opeth -
Blackwater Park
Damnation
Deliverance
Morningrise
My Arms Your Hearse
Orchid
Still Life

To me, Still Life is best, with Deliverance second and MAYH in last place.

Jul 17, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #3 of 24
Well the worst is obvious to all..............DAMNATION
(funny they should have named this "deliverance" and part 1 "damnation" which fits the music better)

As far the best, tough call since the rest are all stellar including first album. But must choose "morningrise" since it contains the best song ever by OPETH:

-black rose immortal

BTW Johnny
Why do you feel "still life" is best?

Jul 17, 2003 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel

As far the best, tough call since the rest are all stellar including first album. But must choose "morningrise" since it contains the best song ever by OPETH:

-black rose immortal

BTW Johnny
Why do you feel "still life" is best?

Yes, you are right, BMI is by far the best Opeth song. The segment of the song from roughly 12:00 to roughly 15:00 is nothing short of musical bliss.

I enjoy Still Life most because it has the clean vocal part of Godhand's Lament, which is far and away the best 'clean' segment of any Opeth song (...except maybe to BMI). "Searching my way to perplexion, ahhhh, gleam of her eyes in the moment she knew..."
Still Life also has The Moor, Face of Melinda and a personal favorite, Moonlapse Vertigo.

I can't stop raving about Still Life, so onto:

Deliverance would be my favorite album, but it has Wraith, which to me is the worst Opeth song. It is probably the heaviest song they perform and there are no gratuitous clean segments of the song.

But the self-titled song is in my top 3 for Opeth, and By The Pain I See In Others has some of the best drums I have heard in any song (not just any Opeth song).

Jul 17, 2003 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 24
Now if only "damnation" could have slower songs like "face of melinda" it would be great album.........but that is not the case sadly
very_evil_smiley.gif

(I am trying very hard to incite someone to defend "damnation" BTW)

Jul 18, 2003 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 24
hey, now
wink.gif

the song "Ending Credits" kicks ass!

Granted.....it IS more of an instrumental =P
But it still kicks ass
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 19, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 24
Wow, there are quite a few Opeth fans here.

I've become an enormous fan lately, and was about to post a thread about them, when I just saw this.

Anyways, from all the songs that I've heard, my 3 favourites of theirs are (in order):

1.Morningrise
2.Blackwater Park
3.Still Life

I'm really pissed that it's impossible to find them anywhere for a cheap price.

I live in Toronto, and on the rare occassion that I do see a music store that carries an Opeth album, it's usually about $26.99 CDN.

Anyways, all I have to say is that Opeth is an incredible band, and have recently become one of my favourites.

Jul 19, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by johnny sack
hey, now
wink.gif

the song "Ending Credits" kicks ass!

Granted.....it IS more of an instrumental =P
But it still kicks ass
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I absolutely love it, as well.

Ending Credits, Windowpane, and Death Whispered A Lullaby are my 3 favourite songs from Damnation.

Jul 19, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #9 of 24
on my previous posts...i was making an acronym for Black Rose Immortal, and i called it "BMI"

well, i meant to call it "BRI"

in case anyone was confused by my incompetency :wink:

Jul 19, 2003 at 5:41 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Heyyoudvd

I live in Toronto, and on the rare occassion that I do see a music store that carries an Opeth album, it's usually about $26.99 CDN.

Anyways, all I have to say is that Opeth is an incredible band, and have recently become one of my favourites.

You might want to try www.theendrecords.com
they seem to have many obscure bands on cd and they don't charge extra for shipping (though they probably do to canada)

anyway, i have purchased a couple of opeth cds from there with no problem.

**also, try ebay

Jul 19, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Now if only "damnation" could have slower songs like "face of melinda" it would be great album.........but that is not the case sadly
very_evil_smiley.gif

(I am trying very hard to incite someone to defend "damnation" BTW)

damnation>you

Jul 19, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #12 of 24
I just searched for Opeth at The End Records, and the only Opeth albums they seem to have are My Arms, Your Hearse, Orchid, and Still Life.

What about Damnation, Morningrise, Deliverance, and Blackwater Park!?

The two albums I was most interested in getting, aren't even avaiable there. (BP and Morningrise).

Jul 19, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

I just searched for Opeth at The End Records, and the only Opeth albums they seem to have are My Arms, Your Hearse, Orchid, and Still Life.
What about Damnation, Morningrise, Deliverance, and Blackwater Park!?
The two albums I was most interested in getting, aren't even avaiable there. (BP and Morningrise).

They will be back in stock soon, keep checking.

It is more important than life itself that you get all OPETH albums from: Orchid - Deliverance

Trying to pick a favorite is an exercise in futility, don't deprive yourself any longer
cool.gif

Jul 19, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #14 of 24
Out of curiosity, why do you hate Damnation so much, yet you love all their other 6 albums 'more than life itself'?

Damnation is by far their softest, slowest album, but there are some truly beautiful songs on it.

Jul 19, 2003 at 11:50 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Out of curiosity, why do you hate Damnation so much, yet you love all their other 6 albums 'more than life itself'?

Damnation is by far their softest, slowest album, but there are some truly beautiful songs on it.

There are ballads from the earlier albums which are far superior to any song on DAMNATION, the problem is the close collaboration with that guy from Porcupine Tree has gutted all the passion and creativity from these tracks, they are just avarage quality soft songs many other groups could easily put out.

I actually much prefer the latest Porcupine Tree album "absentia" to Damnation. It's not that Damnation is terrible failure, it is just average work when compared to previous stellar efforts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back