Favorite music magazine?
Dec 13, 2003 at 11:03 AM Post #19 of 26
uncut. and not just for music. the movie/dvd section has better reviews (as in better written, more knowledgable and more to the point) than most movie mags.

journalism is essentially a british invention and they're still best at it.

Dec 14, 2003 at 9:56 PM Post #20 of 26
Mojo - for Rock and Pop
Gramaphone - For Classical, what else compares ....

Uncut is good too but Q seems to have fallen of over the last few years. I aslo like to get BBC Music magazine occasionally as its not quite as up itself as Gramaphone can sometimes be.

Dec 14, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Odi_et_Amo
Fanfare Magazine

Fanfare: The Magazine for Serious Record Collectors is my favorite. It is published bi-monthly, and it is packed with reviews of new (classical) releases.

I have always been interested in finding out about fanfare, however, I can never find a copy in US bookstore. I'd like to at least read one copy before commit myself to subscribing it.

Dec 15, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #22 of 26
Another vote for both Fanfare and The Wire.

Dec 15, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #23 of 26
Hey fyrfytrhoges...
biggrin.gif

http://www.shopnetdaily.com/store/item.asp?ITEM_ID=1462

Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
Q

Dec 16, 2003 at 5:47 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by Gergor
I can never find a copy in US bookstore. I'd like to at least read one copy before commit myself to subscribing it.

Before I subscribed, I picked up Fanfare at the local Border's store. Try 'em out. If they don't carry it, put in a request that they start (several requests under different aliases might work even better).

Or e-mail Fanfare and ask for a sample issue.

Dec 16, 2003 at 5:55 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by augustwest
I'd have to say, "Gramophone", with "American Record Review", coming in second.

- augustwest

American Record Review is probably my second place vote, too, coming in behind Fanfare.

I give the nod to Fanfare because the critics seem to have a penchant for discussing other recordings, including their picks of the definative versions, while reviewing the new releases.

The Penguin Guide is my reference, but Fanfare is published bi-monthly, not bi-yearly...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back