FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Feb 4, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #1,666 of 2,043
I'm more just dissapointed because when I asked them back in November they told me it'll be December or January. January is now over and when I asked them a few weeks ago now it's January to February and I'm hoping when I ask them in a few weeks I won't just get February to March after that.
That said, I do understand it's a smaller company and they probably have way more orders than they expected.

Hi,

Please PM me your order and I'd be happy to check in where things are with it.

They should refund a person’s money if they are asked with these kind of waits. There’s no way to defend that. There were sets available at musicteck.

One of which I grabbed yesterday!

And it’s insane. Really quite amazed by the treble and hell even Vocals sound pretty damn great. IMG_0985.jpeg

Thanks for the feedback!

Glad you got the set in safe and are loving it!

Upgrading my previous recommendation of dongle dac pair with the Scarlets of the Fiio KA13 to the Fiio KA17.. Definitely a big step up. Dynamics lifted, 'veil' gone, better separation, bass more controlled..

Thanks!

Im running them with 4,000 mw on Turbo gain on the iFi signature finale.

Is the iFi house sound not too warm for the Scarlets?

How bad is ear pressure buildup on the Grand Maestro vs the lower end models like Maestro SE or the Minis? I'm considering a pair of custom GM but couldn't wear the Maestro SE for longer than an hour before it became too uncomfortable to wear.
I already chose the GM as my custom and went with Rn6 uni. FATfreq are a young company with strong roots in CIEM, whereas FiR/A64's tubeless tech has historically caused some tuning discrepancy in their customs... The Rn6 is also pretty tiny compared to the GM, so the uni is very comfy whereas the size of the GM and MSE really make custom nice ergonomicically.

Both are fantastic IEMs and I think you'll be really happy either way, good luck!

@Bret Halford is spot on here!

Custom GMs don't have any pressure issues because of the NOAH modules.

Appreciate your feedback on the MSE!

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #1,669 of 2,043
I’m waiting for my Scarlet Mini (ordered in November so hopefully not long till they dispatched) can’t wait to get them.
Is the cable in your photo the standard cable they come with or the upgrade cable? If that is the standard cable I was wondering if it has changeable terminations?

Please PM me with your order info so I can check in on where things are at!

Feb 4, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #1,670 of 2,043
I’m Interested in selling my Scarlet for around what I paid for it (pre-order with upgrade cable).

I’m currently in the hospital for what should be a minor procedure so I can’t take photos for a bit but it is complete with red upgrade cable. Please PM if interested and I will probably create a listing when I get home and recover.

Wanted to give FF thread members first crack at them. Will ship from US.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #1,671 of 2,043
I’m waiting for my Scarlet Mini (ordered in November so hopefully not long till they dispatched) can’t wait to get them.
Is the cable in your photo the standard cable they come with or the upgrade cable? If that is the standard cable I was wondering if it has changeable terminations?
He has the upgrade cable in those photos that comes with changeable terminations. I am unsure if the standard comes with the same but I think it does since they don't offer a choice in termination.

Feb 4, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #1,672 of 2,043
Their standard cable is the same black cable that comes with the Maestro Mini, so it doesn't have changeable terminations and only comes in 3.5mm

Feb 5, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #1,674 of 2,043
I'm a long time lurker, finally got the Maestro. Maybe i'll post some impressions. To say the least those have a lot of bass, an enormous amount i never experienced in any other Iem so far :L3000: I wonder how that's possible to have possibly even more in the Scarlet?! (and if you really want to)

IMG-0094.jpg

Feb 5, 2024 at 6:54 AM Post #1,675 of 2,043
I'm a long time lurker, finally got the Maestro. Maybe i'll post some impressions. To say the least those have a lot of bass, an enormous amount i never experienced in any other Iem so far :L3000: I wonder how that's possible to have possibly even more in the Scarlet?! (and if you really want to)

IMG-0094.jpg

Glad you're enjoying them, experiencing these for the first time was mind-blowing for me as well! For the Scarlets, you can not only feel that sub-bass rumble but also the slam of that mid-bass is insane, yet following the rest of the Maestro series it's well-controlled 👍

Feb 5, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #1,676 of 2,043
Glad you're enjoying them, experiencing these for the first time was mind-blowing for me as well! For the Scarlets, you can not only feel that sub-bass rumble but also the slam of that mid-bass is insane, yet following the rest of the Maestro series it's well-controlled 👍

You can get both the quantity and quality, it's very tight and texture appears more clearly on the Maesto when you reduce it a bit with an easy highpass filter. Im not sure im missing out so much compared to the GM if you are willing to use a bit of EQ to tailor it exactly how you want it, instead of switching parts. Im still experimenting with it, but for my taste the low end shelf has a little too much sub bass, although it also turns into a guilty pleasure on some tracks. This is a big subwoofer experience in your face, literally. Yesterday i swear i felt the rumbles and the slams down to my feet! I come from other Iems that are considered "basshead" already but this is a whole different beast.

Feb 6, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #1,677 of 2,043
I already chose the GM as my custom and went with Rn6 uni. FATfreq are a young company with strong roots in CIEM, whereas FiR/A64's tubeless tech has historically caused some tuning discrepancy in their customs... The Rn6 is also pretty tiny compared to the GM, so the uni is very comfy whereas the size of the GM and MSE really make custom nice ergonomicically.

Both are fantastic IEMs and I think you'll be really happy either way, good luck!
Yeah I've been looking at the Fir stuff more and customs just don't seem very cost effective relative to the GM which I know I'll enjoy based on a demo but I need the comfort of a custom. Thanks for the response.

Feb 8, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #1,678 of 2,043
Their standard cable is the same black cable that comes with the Maestro Mini, so it doesn't have changeable terminations and only comes in 3.5mm
Thanks guys. Looks like I’ll need to find a suitable red cable to pair with the Scarlets when they arrive.

Keep us posted on what cable you decide on!

IMG-0094.jpg

Spot on guys, thank you!

It caught me quite off guard (Scarlets did all over again) when I tried them for the first time to experience bass this this controlled yet so much fun at the same time.

The Scarlet's have more sub bass while the Maestro has more mid bass, my preference generally leans towards sub-bass.

You can get both the quantity and quality, it's very tight and texture appears more clearly on the Maesto when you reduce it a bit with an easy highpass filter. Im not sure im missing out so much compared to the GM if you are willing to use a bit of EQ to tailor it exactly how you want it, instead of switching parts. Im still experimenting with it, but for my taste the low end shelf has a little too much sub bass, although it also turns into a guilty pleasure on some tracks. This is a big subwoofer experience in your face, literally. Yesterday i swear i felt the rumbles and the slams down to my feet! I come from other Iems that are considered "basshead" already but this is a whole different beasts.
Yeah I've been looking at the Fir stuff more and customs just don't seem very cost effective relative to the GM which I know I'll enjoy based on a demo but I need the comfort of a custom. Thanks for the response.

As someone who basically dailies the RN6 and Maestro, I think there's clear reason as why to so many of our brands cross over with FiR. We have similar tuning and build quality mentalities.

I didn't notice too much of a difference from the universal Radon to my custom. Perhaps slightly better texture and impact of low end and better treble response, but I think that's more of a result of better seal than actual tuning/build discrepancies these days.

In the past, there were obvious examples of this as documented by Crinacle with the N8 > Neo that uh..didn't exactly translate over but going over that is like beating a dead horse now.

I think both companies have massively improved on the qualities since those days.

Feb 8, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #1,679 of 2,043
As someone who basically dailies the RN6 and Maestro, I think there's clear reason as why to so many of our brands cross over with FiR. We have similar tuning and build quality mentalities.
I ve spent a good part of the day listening to the Maestro and the RN6 back and forth. They are surprisingly more similar than i imagined. Best 2 sets i ve heard so far, it would be hard to give a winner, but maybe im realizing how much i love the Maestro and how incredible vocals can be on this set... it's so much more than a glorified bass cannon. RN6 does a lot of things amazingly too, and i didn't try all the filters yet (red for now).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back