FATfreq Impressions Thread - Bass Cannons and More
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #1,351 of 2,043
I believe there are drivers right up close to the tip of the nozzle, so that might be why it's not affected so much by tip rolling.
Ya know what? I think you're right on that. I just got my Scarlet Minis in the mail today and they're much closer to any other IEM I've tried in that tips make a difference as long as you get a seal (which is way easier than the MSE's).

And I guess I'll give an initial impressions on the Scarlet:

TL;DR: It sounds good but unnatural.

Boom-y bass and crispy highs. The sound you make from T and S - that frequency range - was very harsh on the MSE's. It's still harsh on the Scarlet, but it's manageable as it's not near as bad. Comfort is great. They're small and smooth to the touch and were pristine coming out of the (very) bright red case. IMO I wish it was black like it was for the MSE. The cable looks great and while stiffer than I prefer, it does feel nice. The 4.4mm extension was installed on the cable when I got them so I had to switch it out to the 3.5mm end.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase of these IEMs but I do plan on keeping them for a long while.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2023 at 9:36 PM Post #1,352 of 2,043
Ya know what? I think you're right on that. I just got my Scarlet Minis in the mail today and they're much closer to any other IEM I've tried in that tips make a difference as long as you get a seal (which is way easier than the MSE's).

And I guess I'll give an initial impressions on the Scarlet:

TL;DR: It sounds good but unnatural.

Boom-y bass and crispy highs. The sound you make from T and S - that frequency range - was very harsh on the MSE's. It's still harsh on the Scarlet, but it's manageable as it's not near as bad. Comfort is great. They're small and smooth to the touch and were pristine coming out of the (very) bright red case. IMO I wish it was black like it was for the MSE. The cable looks great and while stiffer than I prefer, it does feel nice. The 4.4mm extension was installed on the cable when I got them so I had to switch it out to the 3.5mm end.

I'm still in the honeymoon phase of these IEMs but I do plan on keeping them for a long while.
I am with you on the unnatural descriptor. To me it does not sound as coherent as MSE. Going to customs on MSE addressed many of the shortcomings of universals and is, for me, worth the effort.

Nov 1, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #1,353 of 2,043
Don't know if they made changes after the initial version, but no, not vented. And I do get noticeable pressure buildup with them, and with the amount of bass they have it can make extended listening sessions uncomfortable. For me at least.
The scarlet mini i received do have a little vent hole on the shells

Nov 2, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #1,355 of 2,043
Huh, isn't the stereotype side wide bore = bass and narrow bore = treble?
I dont know how wide they are not much from what I see, one time i got tips woth wide "holes" and they reduced bass pretty much.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 5:09 AM Post #1,358 of 2,043
Speaking of eartips, I'm having a lot of trouble with my new Maestro SE where they keep falling out if I don't keep my head completely motionless. Can anyone recommend some tips that might have a stronger grip? I know I've seen some good ones online, but I can't remember what they were now...
Try Eletech Baroque and Acoustune AEX70. SpinFit W1 also very good. You need to find tips that don't block the small nozzle (that's the bass driver output). If they do the sound will be wonky, too much treble. Find tips that get the nozzles as deep in your ear as possible, but still comfortable. Otherwise you're in for treble zing. If you can do that comfortably, you don't need to go custom.

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #1,359 of 2,043
Guys what cable do u recommend for scarlet? the 4.4 mm balanced one
The red one is fine but i wanna try something "better".

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #1,362 of 2,043
I should be getting the Grand Maestro sent this week. Looking forward to hearing them.
When did you order them? And UIEM or CIEM?

Nov 3, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #1,363 of 2,043
I got my MSE and it came with one pack silicon ear tip with red bore in S, M & L. No other ear tips in the package. The included one is chafing my ear canal. Which ear tips are you using with MSE and that you would recommend for comfort & good sound quality?
I just asked this question on the previous page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back