Fastest or at least very fast 16gb USB 2.0 drive ?
Apr 3, 2009 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

nick_charles

Headphoneus Supremus
I need a big USB 2.0 flash drive but it must be fast I am constantly moving (annoying just over 8GB) of data between my numerous machines and speed is essential - I do not mind if it is a bit more expensive - within reason of course.

TIA

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 22
If I remember correctly, USB 3.0 is coming out soonish (this year?). Speeds should be increased quite a bit so if you could wait/research on when it's coming out and see if you can wait for it.

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsatia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I remember correctly, USB 3.0 is coming out soonish (this year?). Speeds should be increased quite a bit so if you could wait/research on when it's coming out and see if you can wait for it.

Yes, but then he would also have to upgrade the hardware on all of his relevant machines.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 22
I have the Patriot Xporter and i'm very happy with it. I run games and applications off of it all the time. The only thing that runs somewhat slowly on it is Firefox Portable, but normal Firefox if installed on the drive runs just fine.

Speeds are between 20MBps - 30MBps, IIRC. I'll test again if you want detailed specs.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Patriot Xporter and i'm very happy with it. I run games and applications off of it all the time. The only thing that runs somewhat slowly on it is Firefox Portable, but normal Firefox if installed on the drive runs just fine.

Speeds are between 20MBps - 30MBps, IIRC. I'll test again if you want detailed specs.

x2. It's big and rubbery too.

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but then he would also have to upgrade the hardware on all of his relevant machines.

Isn't that what we're supposed to do? At least that's what the commercials are telling me....

Apr 3, 2009 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

I would assume that they'd make it compatible with older versions, like 2.0 works with original USB.

Apr 3, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aleatoris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. It's big and rubbery too.

I will admit that the cap pisses me off. On mine it's become loose and now falls off fairly easily
frown.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

oops that's true, kinda forgot about that part heh.

oh well then here ends my input on this thread, don't have much experiences with USB drives hahaha

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsatia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oops that's true, kinda forgot about that part heh.

oh well then here ends my input on this thread, [snip]

Not necessarily... I don'
t read up on hardware as much as I used to, so I wasn't ever aware that USB 3.0 was in the works! :-O Cool.

Apr 4, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Patriot Xporter and i'm very happy with it. ....Speeds are between 20MBps - 30MBps, IIRC. I'll test again if you want detailed specs.

That would be much appreciated, thanks.

Apr 4, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SanDisk Cruzer Titanium, 15MB/s read, 9MB/s write

I have one of those, and it is fast enough for me, routinely passing around ~1gb of stuff. Hard to say what is fast enough for you.

The ergonomics on the Cruzer drives is great. Compact, durable, retractable head. It is unobtrusive enough that I don't notice it in my (medium sized) wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back