Faster Classical
Dec 18, 2009 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

SoupRKnowva

Headphoneus Supremus
Want to get more into classical music. But ive found that i think alot of it is too slow. Looking for recommendations of faster classical, livelier. I also am extremely partial to piano and violin, i played piano for 8 years when i was little. Not so fond of entire orchestras or symphonies either.

Thanks for the suggestions ahead of time
smily_headphones1.gif

on a side not, ive been very intrigued by the electric violin recently

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:18 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Want to get more into classical music. But ive found that i think alot of it is too slow. Looking for recommendations of faster classical, livelier. I also am extremely partial to piano and violin, i played piano for 8 years when i was little. Not so fond of entire orchestras or symphonies either.

Thanks for the suggestions ahead of time
smily_headphones1.gif

on a side not, ive been very intrigued by the electric violin recently

That's a shame! Slow music can be poignant and moving, although less immediate than more rhythmic music, it yields its secrets slower over time...

I can't stand piano music although love Alexander Scriabin's piano sonatas. Some are played with deftness you'd think he'd had an extra finger!
tongue_smile.gif

On each hand!
jecklinsmile.gif

His 1st & 5th intrigue me, as does the Black Mass (much slower though). Hamelin is considered one of the foremost interpreters of his sonatas:

YouTube - Marc-André Hamelin plays Scriabin Sonata No.1 Op.6 I.

I haven't updated my Askenazy collection sadly
frown.gif

Regarding violin music, well you might enjoy Shostakovich's Violin Concerto No.1:

YouTube - Shostakovich - Violin Concerto No.1 Mvt.4 - Sayaka Shoji 5/5

Ravel's 'Tzigane'....after half of it is over!
darthsmile.gif

YouTube - Henryk Szeryng plays Tzigane by Ravel

although I do prefer David Oistrakh's version.

Bela Bartok's 44 Duos for violin (two of them of course).

You prob. do need a more general introduction to classical music, although I'm not a fan of populist introductions, which just flaunt the commercial mainstream and can positively deter many would-be-classical music lovers from even bothering with the genre.

Of the composers, you might like the 'grunge classical composer' - Mussorgsky. His 'Pictures at an Exhibition' is very carnivalesque and chimeric:

YouTube - Evgeny Kissin - Pictures At An Exhibition [1 of 4]

Maybe not quite ....fast though?
confused.gif

Of the string quartets, if you like 'intense', rather than 'fast' - Henryk Gorecki's string quartets are worth exploring. I only have his first 2 string quartets - can't wait to get this one:

Henryk Górecki: String Quartet No. 3 ("... songs are sung") | Nonesuch Records

kronos-quartet-songs-are-sung.jpg

Soooo frustrating that they only ship the LP version to the States
frown.gif

The Kronos Quartet are an interesting avant-garde classical band = they do interpret some modern work such as Phillip Glass, or Latin American composers (Nuevo). They might be more accessible to non-classical purists. I like them for their string quartet interpretation of early liturgical music (medieval).

Szymanowski's Three Myths (Dryads & Pan +/- The myth of Narcissus in some couplings) for violin and piano:

Three Myths, Op. 30: III. Dryads and Pan: Aaron Rosand: Amazon.co.uk: MP3 Downloads

Mostly however, I'd like to recommend a genre of 'fast rhythmic music' which is has become greatly neglected in modern classical music: the harpsichord concerto. There are not many harpsichord concertos in the modern era, and those which have been written, are all strikingly rhythmic and furiously paced:

1. Gorecki's Harpsichord Concerto
2. Manuel de Falla
3. Poulenc's Concert de Champetre
4. Peer Norgard's 'Turn'

Gorecki's is the best pace to start, particularly the Nonsuch release coupling with Kleines Requiem fur eine Polka and 'Good Night':

gorecki-kleines-requiem.jpg

The harpsichord is such a fantastic instrument for goth style classical music. If this is too much, then Bach's complete works for harpsichord along with the 17th century Dutch school offer a more MOR Sunday evening lilt.

Let us know how you get on with your forays into classical!

Dec 18, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 21
Dec 18, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 21
Dec 18, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

on another side note, this while not classical, is pretty sweet YouTube - gothic violin music - rock metal !!!! AMAZING !!!!

Arrrrghh!!! Beautiful and then utterly decimated by 0.51 minutes
frown.gif

The harpsichord just got zapped and all the synths and screechy I-wanna-be-a-rock-star-formula-guitar chords which just kicked in...and then the splice bit with the harpsichord coming back at 2.09 mins - can someone splice this into a proper harspichord sandwich?
biggrin.gif

Yes - everyone loves Chopin! Nocturnes and ditties are very romantic.

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 21
try Bartok's Solo Violin Sonata movements 2 & 4

and the 14 Bagatelles for Piano. about half of them are pretty fast.

Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, and Goldberg Variations

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so i checked out all the ones you told me to head case, and i found two that i really liked, the three myths was amazing, these are the ones i listened too...

also the kronos quartet ones you showed, those samples were very short, but what i heard i really did like
smily_headphones1.gif

Szymanowski's oeuvre completely blows me away. I discovered him accidentally in a library ~ his work is exceptionally concise in that he did not write reams and reams of music with duff symphonies in between brilliant ones, or any filler stuff. He died young and completely broke, so he didn't have a rich executor to sort his work out for posterity.

However! Most my friends who come around to listen find him incredibly difficult to appreciate often commenting that his music sounds like a cross between feline torture and a hungry moggies screeching. Being conventional, they listen to Beetoven and the baroque schools, and are used to thinking about classical music in a more conventional way.

Anyway - I'm always on the prowl for intensely original and aggressive classical music so I'd be more than happy to discover any more recommendations...!

Dec 18, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Szymanowski's oeuvre completely blows me away. I discovered him accidentally in a library ~ his work is exceptionally concise in that he did not write reams and reams of music with duff symphonies in between brilliant ones, or any filler stuff. He died young and completely broke, so he didn't have a rich executor to sort his work out for posterity.

However! Most my friends who come around to listen find him incredibly difficult to appreciate often commenting that his music sounds like a cross between feline torture and a hungry moggies screeching. Being conventional, they listen to Beetoven and the baroque schools, and are used to thinking about classical music in a more conventional way.

Anyway - I'm always on the prowl for intensely original and aggressive classical music so I'd be more than happy to discover any more recommendations...!

so i had to go look up oeuvre, but i figured it out, at first i thought you were talking about another particular work, and was lost cause all youd mentioned prior was the myths, which as i said i really liked. What else by him would you recommend? though right now im really liking the rest of emilie autumn's stuff, i went and downloaded the laced/unlaced cd. She rocks the harpsichord and electric violin like a champ!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihloFPQxjkE - this song is absolutely ridiculous, check it out.

Dec 18, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #11 of 21
Lol ~ I do like Autumn's work, but I get quite grumpy with 'cross-over' music which is done with obvious splice and cut seams.

Karol Szymanowski is my favourite classical composer - mostly he just raises eyebrows when you talk to the classical intelligentsia who consider him a minor contributor to the classical world. He was the foremost composer of the Polish avant garde after the first world war and before the second world war: anyone unfortunate enough to live during those periods just got decimated and then eclipsed by the war, and then completely forgotten about. In a way, I like him too because he was the quintessential underdog.

Recommendations:

The Three Myths is prob. his most famous work for Piano and Violin: you'll like his Paganini Caprices too then. Maybe the rest of his chamber Music:

Sonata for Violin & Piano (Dminor I think) and Nocturne & Tarantella Woohoo!
Mazurkas (Piano) - this defining moment of the Polish folk piano, is the only legacy he left for the medium

2 String Quartets: these are exceptional: Szymanowski completes a world which no other composer has ever opened entry to. My favourite interpretation is by the Varsovia String Quartet and the Carmina Quartet running second. There are some newer groups, like the Maggini and Jerusalem Quartet who try their best. Again - only 2 string quartets in the medium, compared to other composers, like Myaskovsky who wrote 13 quartets; Shostakovich who wrote 15 and Dvorak who wrote about 14. You already get the sense of very divergent personalities: the intense and opulent short concise composer, versus the 'essayist' who chronologizes his life through a cycle of string quartets. Well, Shostakovich ,Myaskovsky and Dvorak all lived much older than Szymanowski too. That is probably the most important factor determining why he wrote so little work.

Choral Work: Stabat Mater, Veni Creator
2x Violin Concertos & Symphony No. 3/4

- these works were popularised by Simon Rattle in the 1990's, bringing Szymanowski's oeuvre to England and the west. I'm so thankful for Rattle's rattling the cages of the classical world to do this. It's always nice when a neglected composer suddenly turns shoulders after 1/2 century of neglect.....there is a very strong thread connecting 'Three Mythes' with the string quartets (2) along with the 2 violin concertos and Symphony no.3; these along with Stabat Mater and the Litany to the Virgin Mary are his core work: he didn't write much beyond these. Before Rattle brought Szymanowski to England, we had a few Polish middling interpretations on CD. Seeing Rattle's version of Szymanowski live was an electrifying experience!

I don't recall hearing Symphonies 1&2 - knowing Szymanowski, he probably binned them. His personality was very peculiar; although very opulant and wealthy in his heyday, he was characteristically spiritual and absorbed in exploring middle-eastern culture and philosophy. Modern composers with similar philosophical preoccupations like Elliott Carter (American) take the formal qualities of the string quartet and turn it into a completely different direction (objectivist perhaps) whereas Szymanowski's influence on the European mainland, leaves us a legacy in Henri Dutilleux's chamber work 'Ainsi la Nuit'.

There were other pieces which Szymanowski wrote - a Symphonie concertante and Harnasie (capricious!) as well as an opera piece 'King Roger' however these are more for the completion-ist collector rather than an introduction to Szymanowski!

Back to modern 'fusion' music
biggrin.gif

I'd stay away from Nigel Kennedy and Vanessa Mae. Both give me the creeps but they seem to bring classical to young people which can't be a bad thing. The electric violin is gorgeous - but it's hard to find a complete and consistent album of work. Have you heard 'Fuzzbox' yet?

I really like it!
biggrin.gif

The Section Quartet on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

You should hear the rich fruity mess they make of Zeppelin's Heartbreaker lol. It's so fantastic!

The Section Quartet - ReverbNation

Eric Gorfain wields the electric violin like I've never seen...

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/M...59999&s=143441

smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #12 of 21
Obviously Head_case has some good recommendations. Just for something different, try Phillip Glass Violin Concerto. You can get it on DG or cheap (and good) on Naxos.

Dec 19, 2009 at 4:57 AM Post #14 of 21
another update

Headcase, the only one you put up with violin and piano was this one

YouTube - Lynn Kuo, violin: Szymanowski Nocturne &Tarantella (2 of 2)

which i liked, but the plane piano one that you put up, i wasnt as interested in.

also head case, im not so much a fan of the classical covers of modern songs, i was really into the whole vitamin quartet thing for a while but it wore pretty thin. Thanks for all the recommendations though, anything else by Szymanowski with piano and violin in it?

that third etude, op10 no4 was amazing, so far im liking the chopin etudes alot.
also, found shostakovich, his no8 in c minor is pretty good as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjvTTfbpWjY
also, listened to kronos do one of glass' quartets, no2, and i liked it as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9bK33HM9ns

whats the difference between concerto and quartet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back