Dec 20, 2004 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lifebot

Head-Fier
Hi.
I live in Canada and im looking for a nice pair of earphones
im on a low budget.
I am only going to spend $30.
I went to a Sony Store yesterday and i saw the MDR-E828LP for $25+Tax
I liked the design and I've heard that it's an okey earphone.
A cornor store in my building also sells the SAME earphone for $20+Tax
but for some reason the packaging is different and im wondering if it is fake!
Both earphones looked indentical with the "sony sign".
I dont want to get any mx series because even though its good the design sucks, and looks like a dollar store earphone.

so please, can it be a fake Earphone? just becaue the pacakaging is different?
is 828 a good earphone? or not
confused.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 20
Actually, Sony has changed package styles in mid-production. The one which sells the MDR-E828LPs for $20 CDN may have an older package design than the one which sells those same buds at $25 CDN. That's highly likely, given the fact that the corner store has far fewer customers and far lower customer turnover than the Sony store.

By the way, both prices are WAY too much for those earbuds, given the very weak US Dollar versus even the Canadian Dollar. And $10 USD is equal to about $11 CND these days (at current exchange rates). And the MDR-E828LPs, based on my experience with them, are just so-so even at $10 USD.

Dec 20, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #3 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifebot
I dont want to get any mx series because even though its good the design sucks, and looks like a dollar store earphone.

The sennheiser mx series may look cheap but they're a lot better than anything Sony has comparatively priced, even twice the price. The only low cost Sony bud that can own the mx's is my personal favorite Sony phone, the E888 (which I find Sony's only good bud).

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
The sennheiser mx series may look cheap but they're a lot better than anything Sony has comparatively priced, even twice the price. The only low cost Sony bud that can own the mx's is my personal favorite Sony phone, the E888 (which I find Sony's only good bud).

And thats us$80, compared to us$20 for the mx series.

Dec 20, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 20
i see so its not fake just the difference with packaging..
sony 828 is not a bad earphone? for $20cdn?
i wanna get a mx300 but i cant find it anywhere..
i cant buy it online...

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 20
The mx does have a somewhat plain design, but it does decrease your chances of getting jacked. My portable rig (IHP->$10 sony buds) looks as if I had gotten it at walgreens or something.

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
The mx does have a somewhat plain design, but it does decrease your chances of getting jacked. My portable rig (IHP->$10 sony buds) looks as if I had gotten it at walgreens or something.

And I know from personal experience that the nicer looking your earphones are, the more chance they have of getting stolen. This is the lesson learned from my first pair of E3cs.

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #9 of 20
Aeriyn, you should put in your sig or something.

Plain black phones =
cool.gif

Fancy white phones =
eek.gif

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:27 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Aeriyn, you should put in your sig or something.

Plain black phones =
cool.gif

Fancy white phones =
eek.gif

I swear I'm going to paint my new E3cs so they look all black. Also, the MX series are blue or silver, not black. =P

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 20
Oh, my bad, I had the mx300s so . . .

(Still, blue and silver are much better, no ipod association)

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk
And thats us$80, compared to us$20 for the mx series.

80 for E888? oi I've seen them for US40 on eBay.

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn

I agree, and I'd even say that anything comparatively priced from Sennheiser itself is nearly disappointing compared to their earbuds.
This is seemingly true till as high as HD477, or even higher, in terms of sheer musicality.

About Sonys, I'd throw in the MDR-E838 (<-not sure if I remember it exactly, but the number is surely 838): They're the earbuds they supply e.g. with higher priced MD players, and they do sound good -- I almost preferred them to MX400/500.

Dec 20, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystic
If it were my money, I WOULD NOT buy the 828. I wouldn't buy the MX300 either. The MX400 is a big step up from the MX300 (but a small step up in dollars).

Michael

Having heard the 300s, 400s and 500s I'd say the 4 and 500s are the same and the 300s are close. 4/500s sound a bit better, not a big step up though.

As for colors.
300 - all black
400 - black with silver
500 - ugly blue metallic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back