Fake Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear
Jul 31, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 3
Could you see if the bore size of the tips is different?

Do the fake have a notch in the stem of the tip?

See below picture, possibly fake tips on top, genuine tips on the bottom,

IMG_20170731_073413.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 5:45 AM Post #3 of 3
Hi Oscar.

Unfortunately, I no longer have the iem. Another good sign of a fake is to mention it (politely) to the seller. They instantly offer your money back.

I mentioned it to the seller and they asked me to return without opening. I didn't want to do that since I suspect that there are LOADS of these out and bought so I wanted to make a video.

After making the video, I wrote again to the seller to confirm that I had checked in with Sennheiser and I gave them a link to my video. Instantly, they asked me to send it back as it was for a refund. They then claimed that they had no idea that they were fakes and would return to their suppliers. That may be true since they aren't just a Hi-Fi retailer.

With regards to the tips, I couldn't see a great deal of difference between the real and fake ones. In fact, I thought that they might be Sennheiser tips tbh.

The problem is that these fakes aren't too bad sounding. They are actually close (ish) to the real thing which surprised me, but I instantly noticed more treble extension on the real thing and a better bass slam, making the fake sound a bit more middle orientated, which sounds pretty much ok.

The real giveaway is the much brighter red colour of the shells, which looks a bit tacky red on the copy. The real one is more of a wine red and the copy a bit more rose wine coloured.

Also, Sennheiser have made it very easy to check with the ID code which appears above the QR code. They send you back another code which should match with the hologram code above the ID code. Easy to do without even opening the box. I will now do this every time I buy a Senn product because it seems that fakes are flying about all over the place. (Even at RRP)

If I'm honest, it was actually quite good value at £38 but not as good as the Senn version.

So the fake has gone back and I'm being refunded.

These fakes are all over EBay; whether the sellers know or not is another matter.

Edit: just checked with my real tips .... mine match your bottom one. They are remarkably loose to get on and off as well, so some people might think they have a fake when in fact, it's real. That top one looks like a fake to me since the rubber looks harder, plus colour differences. Looking at my video, the tips on the copy do look a bit lighter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back