Fake Klipsch x10 details
Dec 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Acer15

New Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of Klipsch x10 off of ebay. The x10 series are discontinued so my only option was to buy from either Amazon or ebay. There was one thread years back detailing the physical features btw the real x10 and the fake x10. Understandably, it was kind of hard for me to tell even from pictures whether the pair I got was real or not. I sent an email to a Klipsch representative asking for any way to help me identify whether my product was real or fake. Here is a copy of our conversation (sorry for the change in text color and font):  

Me: Klipsch Support,

I just purchased Klipsch IEM x10 (a discontinued product) from ebay. I understand that unauthorized sellers on third party sites may produce counterfeit Klipsch products. To be certain that I actually have received a real Klipsch product, are there any identifiers on the product box I can give you for you to check that the product was at some point produced by Klipsch? For example, the numbers on the bar code on the bottom of the box?

Thanks 

Representative: 

Is there a hologram sticker on the side of the packaging?

Thanks,

When replying to this email, please include the original and all replies.

Rhiannon Bell  Headphone and Personal Audio Support Rep.

Me: 

No there is not.

Representative:

I will not be able to verify authenticity if there is not a hologram sticker on the side of the packaging. It sounds like you might have a counterfeit product. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

So, after reading this email. I looked on google and found an article that discussed how Klipsch in 2012 had put on hologram stickers on their packages to protect against fraud. The article here: 
http://consumerelectronicsdaily.com/Content/Klipsch-mounts-all-out-anti-counterfeit-campaign.aspx

In the previous thread about fake x10 vs real x10, the one big way to tell fake vs real was to see if the earphones magnetize with each other. Mines definitely do not. There still may be a slight possibility that mine are real. It's possible that b/c this is a discontinued product, many retailers have held their x10 in their warehouses for years and only selling them at strategic times like the holidays (when I got mine). It may be possible that my earphones were bought many years before the hologram stickers were even put into place. Also x10 is a discontinued product, the article I read above was written in 2012. I'm not sure what year Klipsch x10 was discontinued but maybe it was discontinued even before this hologram sticker campaign by Klipsch even started.

Anyways, I thought I'd let you guys know about this. Amazon may be a better place to buy x10 but even they cannot be fool-proof either. Any current Klipsch x10 owners who bought from the actual company let me know what you think or if you see a hologram sticker on your box. 

Best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back