fa-003 vs senn hd25-1 ii???? or others?? for rock....
Apr 28, 2011 at 11:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

redwarrior191

100+ Head-Fier
guys, i am currently looking for a closed headphones for rock.. the kind of rock that i'm listening to is modern rock such as muse, my chemical romance, linkin park, simple plan, etc.. now for the phones, i want them to be
1. neutral, detailed, and excellent instrument separation: i want to hear every instruments clearly at the same time..the electric guitar, the drums, the bass, the vocal, the cymbals.. i heard sr60 and sr225 the other day and i didnt really like them.. i felt like i was only hearing the guitar and the vocals, while the others sound behind them..
2. tight, fast, punchy, and non-muddy bass: i am not a basshead myself, but when listening to rock, i want to "feel" the rumble and the punch of the bass, but not to the level where it overlaps with vocals or drums..one of the problems i found when i'm using my cx300 is that the bass is so muddy that the sound of the drums and cymbals feel "covered" by the bass..

i'm listening mostly directly to my PC, so portablility or isolation is not an issue. I also listen to lossless files so it's OK if the cans are unforgiving.. I'm currently torn between the newcomer-fischers and the old-proven senns.. based on what i gathered so far, they seem to be both neutral, with the senns more forward while the fischers more laid back..am i correct??
so what do you think? anyone has heard both the headphones? i'm also particularly interested in the comparison between the bass on the senns and on the fischers..

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #2 of 14
when you din hv a good amp, u might nt get a good bass frm 003

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #3 of 14
FA-003s have great bass out of the measly udacs. Fast, detailed and deep. But quantity wise well below CAL! (=denon d1001) and Philips HP910, but quality wise much better than both. I don't know HD25s, I was thinking about them myself, too. What I gathered from reading is that FA003s are technically (slightly) superior but Senns might be a bit more fun with energetic sound . From CX300 both will probably sound bass light, but you will probably get used to proper bass :) I think you should ask this question in the 100 page FA003 thread, I am sure there are some people with both.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 14
hmm..i'm actually kinda afraid that the fa-003 is being overly hyped..because it's relatively new and everyone seems to give an exagerated impressions about them.. i really wish someone who has listened to both can comment here..

Apr 29, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #5 of 14
well, they might be.. I don't know.  but they sound better than my AD700s, CAL!s and HP910s which are all well regarded, but are of a lower price range. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 14
thank you very much.. it doesn't matter.. i'm a newbie myself, so if you cant notice any difference, chances are i'm not going to notice either.. i just want to know if the fischers are as efficient as the hd25-1 ii.. (they are supposed to be able to be used with anything; directly into PC, ipod, smartphones)

btw..there is really no one else interested in helping me?? or no one actually has ever listened to them both??

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #9 of 14
Oh man, my ears are not trained enough, sorry! I can hear and somewhat describe the differences between two different headphones, but this is a whole new thing for me. You should probably get impressions from others, too.

I start listening to Adele's "rolling in the deep" since the drum kick part in the beginning was helpful before to compare the depth and the texture of the bass in my headphones. My desktop has an on-board chip realtek ALC888 or something like that.  I am pretty sure udac has a better impact and depth there. no contest, but the headphone output was not bad either. The vocals had a little bit warmer and maybe fuller with udac. soundstage is also improved. I am more sure about this song because I was able to equate the volumes from both sources. it takes me a 30 seconds or so to switch outputs so it is not exactly a/b ing. overall, udac was better for this song. If you are going to use it out of a laptop though udac is much more worth it. I also tried this song on my fiance's thinkpad, and it was just horrible, sounding terrible hallow.

I also tried Guns'n Roses "Yesterday" since it has some impactful drums in it. this was harder to equate the volume level, so I am not really so sure about this one, but udac did slightly better on this one, especially in terms of bass quantity and impact. 

If you can't find anyone else to chime in, I can listen some songs that you want, but you see I am not real qualified to advise you on a 100 dollar purchase :)

Apr 29, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #10 of 14
its okay..thanks a lot utkusu.. i think the best way is for me to audition them myself.. i went to a local store the other day but it has no fischers, maybe i'll just try looking in other stores.. in the meantime.. i hope someone who has listened both or even only listened to one of them could give me an advice..

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 14
No problem. don't look for fischers in local stores unless you live in Russia.  :) Either way you are getting good headphones. Worst case scenario you can sell them in the Trade forum here with a little bit of loss. (also look into getting used ones, that will minimize your loss if you were to sell them)

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 14
i just tried the hd25-1 ii today, i really liked the sound actually, but the clamping force was insane.. i dont think i would be able to adapt to them..so, that leaves me with only the fischers.. the problem is, as utkusu mentioned earlier, none of my local stores has them.. do you guys have any reccomendations on which websites that ship the fischers to hong kong???

Apr 30, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #13 of 14
This guys ship from Russia and they are authorized dealers and will ship everywhere. http://gd-audiobase.com/

I wonder being in HK, you might be able to find a OEM version of them, called Yogo or something like. I think you should ask this in the FA-003 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back