Fa-003/HM5/Lindy vs MS1i
Feb 13, 2012 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Captain Magenta

Head-Fier
As the title suggests are the former better than the latter?  By better I mean more clarity, detail.  Also being closed do the Lindyfischbrains have any boominess to the bass.  I usually prefer at least semi open headphones for this reason but have heard a lot of good stories about these.  They could be a replacement to my closed can of choice the Superlux HD660's though the MS1's are cheaper. 
Also I have owned the SR80i though I kind of regret selling them now as I believe they were the most detailed cans I have owned (and musical).  It's amazing how a new headphone can cloud your judgement ie someone says headphone A is better than headphone B so you get A and think 'yeah these are better' but in actual fact they are not.  I have been sucked in by fotm syndrome before so am a bit more wary now.

Thanks for any input in advance.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 6
this comparison is interesting to me too, because i could probably swap the HM5 for the Alessandro MS1i.

Sep 8, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #3 of 6
Dude this thread was started a year and a half ago with no responses why do you have to bring it back to life?

Sep 8, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #4 of 6

Dude this thread was started a year and a half ago with no responses why do you have to bring it back to life?

....... or you could be helpful, and give the guy an answer (or simply not reply) ......

this comparison is interesting to me too, because i could probably swap the HM5 for the Alessandro MS1i.

Take this with a grain of salt because although I owned both - it was quite a while ago, and this is based on memory alone.

MS1i -
Detailed, bright and edgy sound, wonderful upper mid-range, delightful with acoustic guitars.  Like most Grados I found them wonderful with rock, jazz and blues.  Sonically predominant in mids, upper mids and highs.  Can be considered slightly bass light.  They do have a very small soundstage - like you are up on stage with the band - but wonderful energy.  They are very lightweight to wear - but are on-ear, and after a while - most people find them uncomfortable.  You can get used to the comfort (switch to L cush, wash the pads with fabric softener, lightly bend the headband to lessen the clamp).  They are also highly modable - and easy to recable, add a better headband, and wooden cups.  There are also mods to increase bass response among other things.  The MS1i are very open - no isolation - and will leak sound about as much as allow outside sound in.  Not suitable for very noisy (or very quiet environments - unless you are alone).

HM5 -
Quite neutral, and natural sounding for the most part - but bass can be a little hollow sounding and boomy.  They are pretty clear and mid-range was similar to MS1i - but without that raw edginess and colouration from the MS1i.  The MS1i definitely more fun, while the HM5 is still good - but takes a very slightly more relaxed approach.  Bass is largely neutral (for a closed can) - but can be slightly boomy and hollow sounding (reverb from the cups?).  Slightly larger sound stage than the MS1i - but still on the narrow/small side.  The HM5 is quite a bit heavier than the MS1i - but still were lighter than I expected considering their size.  They are a little clampy - but very comfortable when worn (plush soft earpads) - and isolate extremely well.

Both MS1i and HM5 are very efficient headphones with low impedance and do not need additional amping.

I reviewed the HM5 after I'd them for a while - (http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-hm5-studio-monitor-headphones/reviews/6201) - and in the 2nd last paragraph I wrote a short comparison ........

Comparison HM5 vs MS1i and HD600
Hm5 doesn't have the top end of the MS1i - but is quite similar in the mid range, and has more impact in the bass.  Compared to the HD600, the HM5 has a little more sparkle up top, again similar mid range (maybe a touch more forward) and the bass is similar - but does not have same texture or refinement. In sound stage comparison, the MS1i is on-stage, the HM5 is front row, and the HD600 is perhaps 4 or 5 rows back.  For detail, all 3 headphones have good clarity - with the HD600 ultimately showing better micro detail and placement (as it should).  Comparing realism, the MS1i is what I bought it for - an incredibly edgy fun but coloured headphone - ideal for rock and blues - it's not realistic but I love it.  The HM5 is closer to the HD600 - but it does not match the naturalness of the HD600, nor the texture or sense of 'being there'.  For what it brings to the table in comfort, isolation, and value - that is a pretty good achievement.

As always - above is my opinion only ........ YMMV

Would I get the HM5 again? - (personal opinion again) - no.  They were a great headphone starting out - but in the end the honky/boomy bass was annoying to me.  Would I get the MS1i again - if I was budget limited - yes.  I think they are fantastic value for money and I love their raw and exciting signature.  They are coloured though - that's what makes them so much fun.

Be careful though - the Grado sound can be very addictive.  I sold my woodied 325is some months back and have missed them ever since.  I am now seriously considering RS1i as one of my two end-game cans.  You have been warned 
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #5 of 6
thx Brooko, thats nice of you to reply so elaborate! The uncomfyness of those allessandros could be a problem though. And i´m not sure if that guy that wants to swap has already sold his allesandros.But they could be good for listening to indie music, which is one of my faveorite music genres.

EDIT: actually your post has just let me write the guy an email to see if he still has them:)

Sep 8, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 6
No problem - as long as you know what you're getting into (on ear vs over ear) - definitely different.  I got used to it though.  YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread

Back