F.U.N headphones?
Dec 24, 2011 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AlgoRhythm

New Head-Fier
hello everyone!
am new here and this is my first post and pardon my ignorance because my knowledge about audio is very limited.

am thinking about stepping in the realms of high end audio after i had tried my friends HD650 and it totally blew me away.
so, even though the hd650 is totally amazing i felt it was not my kind of thing.
i prefer more bass. it doesnt matter if it accurate or flat  or not if the end result is a detailed crystal clear sound, but fun and bassy at the same time to blast through all the latest hit songs.
something that put a smile on the face of whoever try those headphones.

so in a nutshell, detailed and clear but have a strong bass!

so what do you suggest me to buy?
my firend suggest me to go with the denon d2000 since i play mostly from my laptop/cowon j3 and i have no amp or DAC but i want to hear your suggestion first.

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #2 of 11
The most common suggestions for that type of sound is either the Denon D2000/D5000 or the Ultrasone Pro 900. I can't recall how these two compare so I'll wait for others to chime in. I don't own them. From what I've heard the Pro 900 has some of the deepest and most powerful bass of any headphone without ruining the rest of the sound, more than the D2000.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 11
Beyerdynanic DT 990 would be a good bet also....lots of bass without being boomy or overwhelming.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 11
Your friend is right- Denons are very easy to drive and have emphasized bass.  Their mids are slightly lacking tho.  But no headphone is perfect.  You could also get HD600 (a much better headphone imo) and an inexpensive amp that increases bass, like a fiio e5.  Those you could grow into, as you will gradually prefer more perfect/uncolored sound if you stick with this hobby.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #5 of 11
If you can find it in stock/wait for it to come back in stock, the Denon D2000 is your  best bet. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 11
A good amp will help alot too. particularly with the bass by providing plenty of power. Probably a Fiio E9 at minimum. Maybe something like a Matrix M-stage if you can afford $270. I'm sure there are other options too.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
A good amp will help alot too. particularly with the bass by providing plenty of power. Probably a Fiio E9 at minimum. Maybe something like a Matrix M-stage if you can afford $270. I'm sure there are other options too.

Would you not think a FiiO E11 is the better choice? Being that you said amp. The E11 is a much better amp then the E9, as the E9 has to be a DAC also. Am I right here or missing something?

Edit: Ups, ignore that... was thinking you said E7.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:48 AM Post #9 of 11

Quote:
what is the purpose of amps anyway???
to increase the volume?

Hmm...think of it like this: The output of an iPod or whatever is like a Honda 4 cylinder engine, now a good amp is like a turbo V8. Sure you can go faster (or play louder) but most of the time it's just going to give you alot more power for moving around in traffic, passing other cars, starting from a stop or going up hill. The V8 doesn't have to work hard at all, it does all those things effortlessly where the 4 cylinder has to work alot harder and has less power for even the basic driving tasks. Same for an amp, the extra power gives the music much more control over the movement of the headphone drivers so even at normal listening levels everything will sound better.

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 11
oh, now i get it. 
does it worth it to get a $250+ amp over cheaper amps like the fiios?
is there is some kind of measurement so i can compare between two amps or there is more than that?

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
oh, now i get it. 
does it worth it to get a $250+ amp over cheaper amps like the fiios?
is there is some kind of measurement so i can compare between two amps or there is more than that?

From everything I've heard, the better Fiio amps E7/E11 for portable or E9/E10/ are fairly good with alot of headphones. Probably not a big jump to go up to the $250+ amps but I haven't compared any of them myself. Alot of people start with a Fiio E7 and E9. The E7 is a portable amp/DAC that can dock with the bigger E9 for use with a computer. When docked the dac on the E7 is used with the more powerful amp of the E9. If you don't need something portable you could just get an E10 for use with your computer as it's pretty powerful and has a DAC and amp built in. I would suggest starting with something like that before you consider spending more on a better amp. A better amp is more important with certain types of headphones like Sennheiser HD600/650, Beyerdynamics 600ohm headphones and HifiMAN planar magnetic headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back