Extreme MDR-V6 modifications... ever been done? (re-post)
May 10, 2002 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Phloodpants

Head-Fier
[size=xx-small]Web browser screwed up on me, resulting in that blank unreadable post...
Anyways...
[/size]

I have a working pair of V6's and another pair that are blown out. (hard studio use)

I was thinking about trying some things with the extra shells and then installing my good drivers in them.

Has anyone ever tried converting them to open phones? How about expanding the enclosure volume?

I have a pair of in-ear binaural mics that I can use to take before/after frequency response measurements.

Just wondering if this is new territory or not. I could not find anything with the search.

May 11, 2002 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 4
I have 2 V-6's, one stock & one I've moded with the Beyer velour pads and some damping behind the drivers. I've tried some extra foam material in front of the drivers to tone down the highs a bit, but have not found any material which works better than the stock driver covering.
I think your proposed mods seem interesting. You may be blazing a new trail.

Jon

May 11, 2002 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 4
Headroom carries the Remote Audio TAHN7506, which use the v6/7506 driver inside a special enclosure. I don't know much about these, though.

If you're interested, you might want to post a question about them in the sponsor forum. Todd should be able to help you out.

Here's a link:
Remote Audio TAHN7506

May 12, 2002 at 8:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Phloodpants..

I bet the pair that you killed (how exactly?
eek.gif
) sounded a lot better than the 'as new' pair...

I've really abused the volume with my pair... to give you an idea, with the earpieces held firmly together, the sound could be heard in the next room!!
eek.gif

As a result I've got a really warm, lush sound... some might complain and say that the voice coils are probably melted, but these things can take 1W, 1,000mw... at most I was putting 50mw into them, and there was no distortion whatsoever ~ apart from sibilance (Yes, I am brain dead enough to listen at that kind of volume) and, I can still easily hear, and get treble detail from them... and the bass is still as rock solid as ever...

So, my offer of a mod ~ turn up the volume, and leave them to cook
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back