External Review: Galaxy S II audio analyzed on Anandtech
Sep 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 29
@supercurio

manufacturers dont care...they will spend money on whatever the market demands and what will get them sales.

at samsung audio is developed as part of one of their key pillars -> innovation

however its not a focus on the phones at the moment unless the demand for it increases

Sep 13, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 29
Supercurio, have you tried doing anything w/ USB to make it a viable transport for a DAC?  I was reading some folks on XDA trying to make it happen and there are reports Icecream sandwich might enable the function out of the box though obviously that's still an unknown.

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #18 of 29
Quote:
@supercurio

manufacturers dont care...they will spend money on whatever the market demands and what will get them sales.

at samsung audio is developed as part of one of their key pillars -> innovation

however its not a focus on the phones at the moment unless the demand for it increases

Hmm I understand you can be a bit pessimistic especially after leaving them. I don't know a lot about you today but I'm suren as you're here  on head-fi that you were pushing forward as much as possible to improve SQ of the products back then.
I have the chance to have contact and the confidence with a few Samsung people in the US and KOR, and I can tell things are evolving.
It takes time... a lot of time but I'm quite sure it's not a lost cause at all.

The demand of high quality audio in mobile phones is more than real.
Voodoo Sound is very popular in Korea and I can tell you they hear about it over and over. I've been told I have users and fans in the product dev teams :wink:

My plan to disturb manufacturers dogmas enough to make them realize audio is not just a gimmick but has a huge impact.
Hacks & apps have an impact, reviews should have some too.
And not just for Samsung.

On XDA forums, its interesting to see that sound mods generate something like 5x more interest than screen mods.
I wouldn't have bet on that before!

Sep 14, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #19 of 29

Quote:
Supercurio, have you tried doing anything w/ USB to make it a viable transport for a DAC?  I was reading some folks on XDA trying to make it happen and there are reports Icecream sandwich might enable the function out of the box though obviously that's still an unknown.

Yes, with the adequate cable Galaxy S II acts as USB Host, recognize there's an USB device but doesn't output audio to the external DAC.
I didn't had the chance to test this on a Honeycomb tablet yet.

Sep 14, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 29

Quote:
I would say quite the opposite :)

Fortunately, Apple devices are far from the only ones sounding right and I think I helped prove it with Voodoo Sound mods on GalaxyS/Tab/Nexus/EeePad Transformer.

There are many other manufacturers doing their job right and choosing great audio IC but we simply don't know about it. I help sound reviews will help on this aspect.

I meant that iPhones sound great as they come out of the box without the need for any mods. And they feature line out and digital out which i miss in almost every other smartphone running WP7 or Android. The more good sounding smartphones the better for consumers (me included). I don't like to be tied to Apple.

Anyway that Voodoo thing is impressing the whole spanish audiophile community so i'm honored to be talking with the mind behind it. You are a genious.

Back on topic i can not quite understand how the Galaxy S II can have 49Ohms of output impedance. It's outrageous given the cash they are charging for that very phone.

Sep 15, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #21 of 29

Quote:

Quote:
Yes, with the adequate cable Galaxy S II acts as USB Host, recognize there's an USB device but doesn't output audio to the external DAC.

I have often wondered if the adc function in the devices containing the wolfson is of a reasonable quality, as the potential of a smartphone as a recording device that has connectivity to quality mics and preamps would make the device very appealing to the pro audio community.  I'd buy the app that could do this and get me a nice mic setup and start binaural field recording and gigs right away (c:

Is it possible to route a stereo line i/o or digital i/o to the micro usb and/or headphone jack???  I've searched xda in the past and not really turned up anything much on this, although there were some guys building docks for different purposes...

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #22 of 29
From someone who regularly uses a sony x walkman, I can't complain too much with the sq from the SGS2. Poweramp is a must imo, it sounds a lot better than the stock player.

Sep 15, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #23 of 29
Poweramp was my player of choice but Neutron blows it out of the water for sound quality. Unfortunately the interface needs some work but it is evolving with a responsive developer.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #24 of 29
Sorry if I sounded pessimistic.

Im was only trying to point out that the goals of samsung as a (mass consumer brand) and the goals of the average headfier (niche enthusiast) are not aligned

However I do believe Samsung or Apple could learn a lot by reading through these forums.

At the end of the day most headfiers can tell the products which have been engineered with sound in mind in the first 5 mins of listening to them...from a manufacturer perspective...it wouldnt take much to have the best portable on the market or the best phone in terms of audio quality:

1. clean audio line & optional lineout for Hi fidelity audio purposes on hi end audio equiptment (optical out would be better)

1. larger amp circuitry (get their hands on some fiio or RSA or a pico - have the technology within the phone and label it something marketable like - 'Audio plus' which engages the internal amp when you select it on the device.)

1. Bluetooth reciever accessory for plugin to home audio systems ( i know not HIFI but still would be cool)

Sep 15, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #25 of 29
basically the goal should be for the consumer to pop on the headphones and hear magic.

Sep 18, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #26 of 29
WOW, I'm quite impressed to see the guy that created the Voodoo Control here. Quite good review, not expected to have even a sample to hear how bad the yamaha chip is.

Quote:

Do you think that a tablet running Honeycomb 3.1 would output digital audio through USB? I think that if I get a DAC I can test to see if works. Any chance of backport USB Accessory OTG for the SGS II?

Sep 19, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #27 of 29

Quote:
WOW, I'm quite impressed to see the guy that created the Voodoo Control here. Quite good review, not expected to have even a sample to hear how bad the yamaha chip is.

Do you think that a tablet running Honeycomb 3.1 would output digital audio through USB? I think that if I get a DAC I can test to see if works. Any chance of backport USB Accessory OTG for the SGS II?

I'm hoping, I need a new phone and the Fiio X3 is dead.

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #29 of 29
Yeah, great job writing the whole thing up. Really useful, and I love reading Anandtech. It's a shame about the S2 though, I was considering moving from iOS but the iPhone is a good source so it's hard to give that up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back