external hd - now I go caseless!
Aug 5, 2006 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lini

Thought the last line in Citizen Kane was nosebud.
Just a quick thumb up for a nice little accessory, the DeLock 61329 usb 2.0/pata converter box - available over here for ~ 20 Euro e.g. at Reichelt.de (http://www.reichelt.de/index.html?SI...=3;GRUPPE=EA4):

Works & is nice for the price!
wink.gif

Well, ok, to elaborate this a bit further, I use a pc with ht capabilities (wouldn't call it a real htpc - for that purpose alone it's a bit too loud; it's more a universal multimedia/gaming pc - a Medion MD8008 (aka the Aldi-PC of Spring 2003), though already upped here and there...) mostly as tv & vcr replacement. And I record a lot of movies (without commercials - thanks to our öffentlich-rechtliche Sendeanstalten over here...) - mostly older stuff, 'cause I like movies that actually contain dialogues & a story.
evil_smiley.gif
Thus, soon enough, I had to notice that recording (especially from analogue cable tv) in good quality eats up hard drive space like mad. And I also had to find out that half-decent external hd cases don't come all that cheap and would add up quickly over time. So, with no decent (silent & fast), priceworthy nas box that would allow quick hd changes in sight either, I was pondering alternatives. Considering the fact that the Samsung drives I usually buy don't really run hot, produce little vibration and even sport four tiny rubber feet, I finally thought: "Why not run 'em nude?" - i.e. directly placed on top of the mini tower case. But not every usb-to-ide bridge chip works properly, and the converter boxes I had seen so far had all been no-names from dubious sources with no further info on the ingredients - until I finally saw the DeLock 61329: No further info on the bridge chip here either, but at least it would come from a widely distributed accessory brand and be a complete package (converter box with attached cables, wallwart, 2.5" adaptor, mini cd-rom...) - so, for less than 20 Euro, I thought it was worth a try.

Long story short: So far the 61329 works nicely with an SP2514N, real-world file copy under XP from my two 160 GB internal drives (stock Seagate Barracuda Barracuda 7200.7 & additional Samsung SV1604N) onto the SP2514N yields ~ 20 MB/s - which seems fairly good, considering that the mobo uses an older SiS chipset. And the bridge chip turned out to be a Myson Century CS8818, btw. If I should be really picky, I'd wish for the wallwart to run a bit cooler, a two colour activity led (so one could discern reads & writes) and a second grounding screw for hds (the included one has the smaller thread for floppy and optical drives...). However, for the price one can't complain, I'd say...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Aug 5, 2006 at 7:31 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Hmm very good. Anyone know of any alternatives easily available in NA? I can see myself building a little external HDD rack.

There are a ton of these available everywhere. Just do a search for "usb ide adapter" at your favorite online store.

I see a couple of disadvantages to using these as a semi-permanent solution:
1) Definitely not girfriend/wife-friendly. The term "ugly" comes to mind.
2) You're leaving the circuit board of the hard drive exposed to accidental damage, especially if you swap drives frequently.
3) Possible source of EMI, which could be a problem if you've got poorly shielded cables nearby.

Personally, I prefer using a hot-swap tray setup. You can find trays for under $10 each if you shop around.

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back