Experiences with New ESS Sabre DAC Motherboard audio?
Dec 22, 2020 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

exwhyzed01

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I was going to get a DAC/AMP to get me through the holidays and into mid next year, which is when i was going to upgrade my computer. Been recently browsing motherboards, to see current motherboard audio offerings, and have come across listings that show some higher end boards contianing the very DAC circuitry that i was hoping for in a standalone DAC. Does this mean i should forego the DAC and just upgrade my computer now instead? I just need the sound reproduction to be ultra clear with a above-average representation of the soundstage/imaging, so i can do mixing/mastering.

I'm hoping for people to chime in on their sound quality and headphone driving experiences with the below or similar higher end motherboard audio.

MSI - some of their MEG UNIFY line
- has an ESS audio DAC
- Left & Right channels separated on separate PCB layers
- claims to have a 600ohm dedicated headphone amplifier
- premium yellow capacitors
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MEG-Z490-UNIFY

ASUS - some their ROG STRIX line
- has ESS SABRE9018Q2C AND ESS SABRE9023P
- has RC4580 headphone amp
- two operational-amplifiers are utilized to supply the front panel headphone output, ensuring adequate voltage and current to drive headphones to their full potential
- premium capacitors
- able to power up to 600 ohm headphones
https://rog.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-Strix/ROG-Strix-X570-F-Gaming-Model/

Gigabyte - some of their AORUS line
- has ESS9018K2M
- L and R channel separation
- TI Burr-Brown OP Amps
- premium yellow and red WIMA capacitors
- able to power up to 600 ohm headphones
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z490-AORUS-XTREME-rev-1x#kf

Are nowdays higher end motherboards a suitable replacement for budget DAC/AMPS?

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:55 AM Post #2 of 4
Unless someone has tested each motherboard, with several different types of headphones, it might not be easy to say how each motherboard's onboard audio truly compares, to a external DAC/amp.
It might help to know the made and model of your headphone(s).

Dec 23, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 4
Hi PurpleAngel, I'm using a Massdrop HD6xx. I've EQed it on windows using Equalizer APO and somebody else's settings and the treble came back which was great. I think i'm going to end up getting one of these motherboards when its time for me to get a new computer. And if if doesn't work out, i can get an amp/dac afterwards.

Dec 24, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 4
After an extensive googling and forum post reading across the web, it seems that high-end Motherboard audio is still be susceptible to CPU-related and/or other computer hardware based hums, buzzes, crackles, and pops. To play it safe, i went with an external DAC (Khadas Tone board) and amp (Monoprice THX 887) to be done with it.

What I'd like to see is a motherboard manufacturer put an itx motherboard at the top of a full sized ATX board, and then use the bottom space to put a proper DAC and Headphone amp like in the below markup.

atx board.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back