Experiences with MappleSyrup iPod Classic 240GB
May 10, 2014 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

TheDreamthinker

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone.

I am currently looking to replace my iPod nano 3G.

I am not part of the Apple ecosystem, but the iPod Classic is probably the largest capacity DAP available.
But I suspect that 160GB won't be enough for my ever growing collection.

In this context, I am eyeing a 240GB iPod from MappleSyrup (http://mapplesyrup.webs.com). I didn't find any reviews of MappleSyrup's iPod or their Customer Service here.
The owner of MappleSyrup told me via email, that he would 'repair in a reasonable time spans'.
As I am currently not in the US, sending it in for repair or replacement would be difficult. The vague formulation is, imo, not trust provoking.

So i am asking for impressions and experiences about MappleSyrup's long term reliability (BQ and CS). 

Thanks for your help.

- TheDreamthinker

Jun 30, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 27
Red Wine Audio would probably be willing to put a 240GB hard drive into an iPod so long as you provide the parts, but I don't know if it's worth doing nowadays.

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 27
I'm not sure what they'd charge for the new hard drive and the installation but they're not cheap.

I had hoped that DAPs would get better and cheaper, but we're not there yet.

Maybe we're in the same boat: expand the memory on an iPod or buy something else. Everything either has low memory, is super expensive, or is poor quality. It's a frustrating choice. What are your thoughts?

Jun 30, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #11 of 27
What you guys are looking for has been around for a long while now... if you can do some pretty simple mods and have about 15min.

Take a look:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/566780/official-ipod-video-classic-5g-5-5g-6g-6-5g-7g-ssd-mod-thread

There is word that 1TB SSD is just about to be confirmed to work in an Ipod.

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #12 of 27
  Hi everyone.

I am currently looking to replace my iPod nano 3G.

I am not part of the Apple ecosystem, but the iPod Classic is probably the largest capacity DAP available.
But I suspect that 160GB won't be enough for my ever growing collection.

In this context, I am eyeing a 240GB iPod from MappleSyrup (http://mapplesyrup.webs.com). I didn't find any reviews of MappleSyrup's iPod or their Customer Service here.
The owner of MappleSyrup told me via email, that he would 'repair in a reasonable time spans'.
As I am currently not in the US, sending it in for repair or replacement would be difficult. The vague formulation is, imo, not trust provoking.

So i am asking for impressions and experiences about MappleSyrup's long term reliability (BQ and CS). 

Thanks for your help.

- TheDreamthinker

If you're not a part of the Apple ecosystem why get into it just for larger capacity? And through that expensive method, instead of for example an iPod Touch with a 500gb Seagate wireless drive?* The Fiio X5 can take two microSD cards, and AFAIK, it can do two 128gb cards, but there's a certain limit on the number of tracks - which I doubt would be an issue if you loaded it with lossless anyway. If you're using 320kbps, but still need that much storage, then just get used to swapping out microSD cards - back in my day (you know you're getting old when you start making a point with that) I had five MiniDiscs in my schoolbag, plus one in the player, and each of them has only one album.

Note that even some iPods slow down on a full drive with lots of smaller files, especially if it's much bigger than what that version came out with. 

*During the 4g and 5g iPod era, some people just bought a second or even a third iPod if they were using ALAC, then fill one up with one general genre - like jazz in one, classical in another, rock in the third

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 27
I remember the MiniDisc days... that was shortlived for me before I jumped on a Creative Zen MP3 player. :D But what about.... a PCDP + backpack weighed down by CDs. lol (I was too anal/meticulous about my CDs that I had to carry the cases with me.) Those were the days. :)

Jun 30, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #14 of 27
I wouldn't want to mess around with microSD. I'm tempted to limit my portable collection and compromise with a 64GB Sony.

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 27
I'm not sure what they'd charge for the new hard drive and the installation but they're not cheap.

I had hoped that DAPs would get better and cheaper, but we're not there yet.

Maybe we're in the same boat: expand the memory on an iPod or buy something else. Everything either has low memory, is super expensive, or is poor quality. It's a frustrating choice. What are your thoughts?

I think that we are on the same page...

People and companies are increasingly going cloud, so i don't think that trend will change any time soon.

low memory is would be counterproductive.
An Astell&Kern is pretty much ridiculously priced.
An I have a lot of (personal) experience with production methods in the PRC. And I already had problems with 'smaller' Chinese companies. Sorry, Fiio, Hidizs.....

...so it seemed Apple is the most reliable option...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back