Expected Lifespan of Custom IEM's?
Mar 3, 2016 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

lalawyer

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! First time poster here.

I'm researching my first pair of custom IEM's. The prices are, of course, all over the map with some models being very expensive. My question is how long can one expect custom IEM's to last? Does the seals / fit change over time?

The reason I ask is that I was seriously considering Westone ES50's, but then a respected audiologist indicated that they would shrink and change shape over time, which effects the seal. At the price point of these models I cant see making that investment if they are only going to last for a year or two.

All thoughts appreciated! My budget is between 500-1,000 USD. I would love something that is exceptional, but I want it to last!

Thanks and nice to meet everyone.

Scott

Apr 8, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 2
Hello everyone! First time poster here.

I'm researching my first pair of custom IEM's. The prices are, of course, all over the map with some models being very expensive. My question is how long can one expect custom IEM's to last? Does the seals / fit change over time?

The reason I ask is that I was seriously considering Westone ES50's, but then a respected audiologist indicated that they would shrink and change shape over time, which effects the seal. At the price point of these models I cant see making that investment if they are only going to last for a year or two.

All thoughts appreciated! My budget is between 500-1,000 USD. I would love something that is exceptional, but I want it to last!

Thanks and nice to meet everyone.

Scott

Hey Scott, 
FWIW (for what it's worth), I'll give you what I've learned through my research. I am expecting my ES50s to come in next week and I went through the same thought process. How long will I be able to use these? I think if you're young, like teens - twenty something, then your ear shape may change and affect the fit. But if you're older than that, like 30's or 40's and up, then it shouldn't change too much.....at least not enough for it to affect the seal. That's what I've read anyway. 
Also, most companies (Westone included) will reshape it for you for a small fee. I've heard people paying less than $200 to have this done. 

Like you, I'm in it for the long haul and would like to use these for AT LEAST 10 years. I've read of people who have used their CIEMS for well over 10 years. CIEMS that have detachable cables can be used for longer periods only because sometimes the cable may get damaged and all you have to do is buy another cable instead of replacing the whole thing. 

As for your budget, don't forget to add in any customization (around $50+ per ear), ear impressions ($35 - 200 ish), and shipping. With the ES50's right at $999, those things will take you over that easily. 

One of the big reasons I went with the ES50 (outside of sound and performance etc) is that I was able to finance them interest free. I had a few other companies on my list, but the financing is what made me go with the ES. If you're paying the whole thing up front, I would check out 64 Audio and Alclair, and even Ultimate Ears. They had great reviews on their multidriver models and were more affordable. Something to consider.....

Anyways, that's kinda my research in a nutshell. Hope it helps you even just a little bit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back