Exciting closed/open back for gaming under $300?
Nov 4, 2023 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BadMusicVideos

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of pretty fun phones for under $300. Closed/open back doesn't matter, mostly playing RPG type games on console. Have DAC/AMP. Just looking for more options. I've had neutral reference type headphones before and found them a little boring. Also I'm not a basshead and prefer really smooth treble/mids with punchy bass.

Nov 4, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 6
Just to give you some options...

Hifiman Sundara, HE560, XS (used)

AudioQuest Nighthawk Carbon (used)

Audio Technica MSR7b

Sivga Robin

Denon D5200 (used)

Philips X2HR

Nov 5, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Exciting? Perhaps the Philips x2hr that msing mentioned above.

For gaming my favorites under $300 are the beyerdynamic amiron home and the akg k701. In my opinion they have a Fantastic wide soundstage, clear sound, and are two of the most comfortable headphones I’ve worn; perfect for long gaming sessions. I dont know if I’d say theyre ‘exciting’ however.

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #5 of 6
Also keep an eye out for the Monolith by Monoprice headphones, at times they've drastically reduced the price of the some of their headphones (name m1570 open back & closed)to about 200 which is great for what they headphones offer.

Nov 11, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #6 of 6
I have a pair of AKG 371 that just arrived. I got them cause I wanted a portable open back set. Sadly they aren't great for gaming, but they are stellar for music. They lack soundstage and bass impact that you would want for gaming or watching movies. However they still win over my current Phillips SHP9500.

Still shopping around for movie/gaming headphones, a lot of the ones above are over budget unless bought used (I'd rather buy new if possible).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back