excellent mod for akg 701 phones that really makes a huge difference
Jun 17, 2015 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

buson160man

1000+ Head-Fier
 I have had my akg 701s for over 5 years now. Mine were made in Austria. A short time ago I unfortunately tripped over the cord and lost the sound on my akg 701s. I considered buying a new pair but decided that maybe just having the plug changed would restore my beloved 701s to working order. So I decided to go whole hog and I had my plug replaced with a furutech 1/4 inch stereo plug.
   Well I got my k701 phones back last week and have been checking them out for a few listening sessions with familiar favorites. The only thing that I can say that I am just absolutely amazed at the difference that the furutech 1/4 inch plug has made on my beloved akg 701s. I am very familiar with all the recordings that I have been playing and I have to say that I have never heard them played with the sense of resolution that they now possess.
   The furutech plug has transformed them from what was already a pretty revealing headphone to a absolutely amazing reference quality headphone. You simply have to replace the stock 1/4 inch plug with the furuech 1/4 inch stereo you simply have not heard the potential of the k701 till you do.
    Believe me you will not regret that you did it. It is easily worth the investment and effort.
      If anyone takes the plunge let me know what you think of the change I would appreciate any feedback.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #2 of 5
So without having the original configuration around to test against how do you know for sure that it actually helped?  Also, how do you or anyone else explain why it would make it sound better if that is exactly what you are claiming.

Just trying to understand.

Jun 17, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 5
  So without having the original configuration around to test against how do you know for sure that it actually helped?  Also, how do you or anyone else explain why it would make it sound better if that is exactly what you are claiming.

Obvious cable seller plug is obvious.

Honestly this thread should be kept to the sound science threads, I don't think most of the people in the non-DBT threads will believe this, best thing to do is not encourage them.

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #4 of 5
  Obvious cable seller plug is obvious.

Honestly this thread should be kept to the sound science threads, I don't think most of the people in the non-DBT threads will believe this, best thing to do is not encourage them.

No I am not a retailer. I am just being honest. I love my akg 701s and really missed them . People are so distrusting these days. I have the same plug on my aftermarket lcd2 cable .If you do not believe me it is your loss. Believe me the plug made a very noticeable difference in the k701s sound .

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #5 of 5

Of course I can not make the comparison directly but I am very familiar with the sound of my k701s having put thousands of hours on them .
I am also very familiar with my favorites that I play so I pretty much know how they sounded before the plug was changed and the difference in sound quality is very obvious and would be easily heard by even a novice listener. The increased resolution is easily heard.
  The plug is very reasonably priced so the cost of the upgrade well within reach of just about anyone. After you hear the change believe me even you could go back there is no way you would want to the improvement in sound quality is that obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back