exaSound DACs
Nov 1, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #16 of 23
Just came across this thread after having my E28 for while.  I'm curious to see if anyone has noticed differences in SQ with ASIO driver updates?  I've been running with what was available at the time that I purchased the E28 (1.0.something I believe?).  Today I installed the latest ASIO driver and found myself disappointed with the sound.  What was what I'd call a relaxed sound now comes across as too bright, too detailed.  I'm finding it a somewhat fatiguing listen with my HD800s, using both the built-in amp as well as feeding my WA7 and Valhalla2 amps.  Up to this point, with some tube rolling, I thought I had a really pleasing sound dialed in especially with the Valhalla 2.  Not so much anymore.

Nov 1, 2014 at 2:24 AM Post #17 of 23
The ASIO driver should be bitperfect into the DAC, that was in fact the entire impetus behind exaSound's proprietary driver. You can try emailing them to help diagnose the issue.

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #18 of 23
+1 contact them directly and they will help you will all the settings.
I guess the e28 is too rare to expect someone here could have encountered the same issue yet and would be able to help you.

Sometimes the good old saying holds true "If its not broken, don't fix it"
wink.gif

But that's the caveat with today's computer base audio: "To update or no to update, that's the question."
confused.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #19 of 23
Yeah - perhaps I should have left it alone!  Even after a few days to make sure, I still think that the upgrade has altered the sound.  It feels like the tonal balance has shifted upward - thinner sound (less weight to the notes), weaker low end, kind of an high end glare that only exaggerates the weakness of the HD800's. Bigger soundstage though but not worth it for me.  I need to find the older version and reinstall to verify the differences.  I know that I have it somewhere, just have to find it.

Mar 1, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #20 of 23
New E22 coming next week: deciding between Teddy Pardo and Paul Hynes ext. supply;
any suggestion much appreciated
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 23
  New E22 coming next week: deciding between Teddy Pardo and Paul Hynes ext. supply;
any suggestion much appreciated
wink.gif

Hi there and congratulations, you will like it
beerchug.gif
!
I have the TP psu and honestly I could not actually describe any difference at the time but I also improved my set up since then. Maybe it's time to dig out that orig. wall wart thingy and verify by going back. In any case the exasound psu is doing a very good job and is not letting the DAC down. This way you have a choice if to upgrade and max out all potential.
PH was also on my list but somehow it seemed easier to get the TP with no wait time. I'm not sure if there would be any differences between these two.

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #22 of 23

Hi there and congratulations, you will like it
beerchug.gif
!
I have the TP psu and honestly I could not actually describe any difference at the time but I also improved my set up since then. Maybe it's time to dig out that orig. wall wart thingy and verify by going back. In any case the exasound psu is doing a very good job and is not letting the DAC down. This way you have a choice if to upgrade and max out all potential.
PH was also on my list but somehow it seemed easier to get the TP with no wait time. I'm not sure if there would be any differences between these two.

Puppy arrived 3 days ago: fantastic!!!!
Burning it and already noticing huge improvement compared to first hours of usage.
Coupled with Violectric V281+LCD3F (fully balanced) and I can say is all running like heaven...
Using with Ifi micro iUSB+ifi Gemini dual USB+Ifi Purifier; Waiting for Black Cat SilverStar USB

Getting best sound from Foobar player with related DSD/asio plugins: not totally convinced about Jriver performance till now
Will post some more detailed impressions soon

Mar 7, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #23 of 23
Nice! It feels good to support a small audio company that limit themselves to one or two quality releases a year you know will be rock-solid... and that never beg for cash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back