Exact Audio Copy (EAC) - Is there anything better than this app for ripping?
Jun 3, 2010 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Zorlac

500+ Head-Fier
EAC doesnt seem to be supported very much anymore by the author. Anyone know of an equal or better ripping utility? I wanna start ripping to FLAC instead of WAV and looking for a well supported pro ripper.

Jun 4, 2010 at 12:57 AM Post #2 of 14
What do you mean, well supported?  The application itself is fine, and there CAN come a point in a product life cycle that nothing needs to be patched/added.

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 14
This is a weird case for me. I think EAC is great, and if you mostly rip discs that are in the Accuraterip database it's just fine even without the secure mode (though I always use it), but it gets tricky (with any ripping software) when you want to rip rare or rather unknown discs/albums that aren't in the database. As long as the disc is in mint condition this should be no problem at all, but if you're unlucky somebody gives you a scratched and rare disc you happen to like and in the end you don't know if it's stored properly on your harddisk ...

Well, all in all I'd say EAC should be the way to go, but there are other worthy alternatives that should do the job just as good.

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #5 of 14
dbpoweramp is good enough for me. simpler to setup than eac and rips faster. ive tried super scratched discs that itunes error correction cannot fix. With eac and dbpoweramp, it is corrected fine where the skipping occurs with the itunes rip. The bonus with dbpoweramp is that it can do it quicker than eac.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 14
What do you mean by "better?" Faster? User interface? If error correction/verification works and you get the same bits on your drive that are resident on the optical disc, one will be as "good" as the next.

p

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #7 of 14
I am sticking with EAC. Sorry I was not very clear, but I guess I equated 'better' to 'updated more frequently'. =P

EAC works great by the way (and I have always used EAC in the past). Just wondered if the author was still supporting it.

Jun 7, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #8 of 14
dBpoweramp reference is the stuff.  awesome features, accurip, batching, tagging, shell integration, and multithreading abilities.

Jun 8, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 14
dBpoweramp CDRipper! Rips directly to ALAC and uses the accurip database! :)

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 14
The developer of dBpoweramp invented the AccurateRip database.  :wink:

dBpoweramp does some nice things and is easier to get set up properly.  It grabs meta data from more sources (freedb, MusicBrainz, AMG, and others) but using some of those sources (like AMG) requires paying a subscription fee.  If you are doing a big ripping project of hundreds of CDs the better meta data saves a lot of time.  And it has some neat features like ALAC encoding, HDCD decoding, other DSP and codec options.

The one thing dBpoweramp doesn't do yet is CUE files.  Maybe the next version will.

EAC does CUE sheets.  When I want to create a CUE file I use EAC.

Then for working with CUE files to convert to other formats or split into tracks or whatever I use CUETools.  In addition to CUE file processing it also can decode HDCD.

Between dBpoweramp, EAC, and CUETools I'm set for ripping and archiving needs.  For CDs that have pre-emphasis I also use SoX to apply the de-emphasis.  Maybe the next version of dBpoweramp will do the pre-emphasis processing as well.

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #11 of 14
This thread is a little old but since I upgraded to Win7x64 ,   Eac continually locks up when I set an output directory to a separate harddrive,  has anyone found a solution to this?

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:
This thread is a little old but since I upgraded to Win7x64 ,   Eac continually locks up when I set an output directory to a separate harddrive,  has anyone found a solution to this?

Made sure you're running it as Admin?

Rip to your desktop and copy paste?

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 14
I run EAC on mt Win 7 64bit Pro machine no problems at all. Make sure you have the latest version, it should work fine.

Aug 8, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 14
http://www.digital-world.de/artikel/_Downloads/1253089/exact_audio_copy_099_prebeta_5_international/1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back