@Everyone who has owned/listened to AKG Q701 headphones - what have you heard that sounds better for under 600 dollars?
Jun 13, 2020 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

JonIrenicus

New Head-Fier
I posted another thread about potentially geting the audeze mobius for general purpose gaming and movies and music, but after diving deeper those don't seem like they match the sound quality of so many other things. So I am back to square one.

I got sucked into an HD 660s vortex, and then other vortexes like the m1070 or the sundaras, and right now, I am completely and utterly paralyzed. I've never been to canjam, but I intend to go to one when it comes to southern california later in the year because this crap is too god damn hard to figure out without listening myself. You can't even completely be sure of other peoples perceptions because of the black/blue/white/gold dress phenomenon and how people hear differently on top of having different taste preferences.

The closest I can get is to ask people who have tried the exact thing I am familiar with, and compare that to other things they have heard that they think are even better sounding.

I've been using the AKG Q701s for what must be over 5 years now, it's been my general computer headphones that I've used for music, gaming, movies, everything. And I'm looking to see what is a general upgrade over these.

Jun 14, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #2 of 11
Sorry, never auditioned the Q701s, nor the K701s or K702s, so I cannot comment.
I can however bump this thread for you and ask my fellow Head-fi'ers to chime in.
Anyone? Please? :relaxed:

Jun 14, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #3 of 11
At which area, you think you need upgrade over what Q701 able to do?

My personal preference in this price range is Audeze LCD-1. Truly balance character, easy to listen due to its smoothness, thanks to planar technology for nice black background performance, has effortless feel in sound, comfortable to use, and not hard to drive by any means.

Jun 14, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #4 of 11
If you can wait until CanJam then wait until then. There is no substitute for trying things on and listening for yourself.

As a longtime K550 / K702 listener I might nudge you toward some of the less expensive HiFiMan and Audeze models (don't entirely rule out Mobius for instance), and if Dan Clark Audio has anything in your price range at that point I would definitely give those a listen.

There are usually good show specials to be had, so come prepared to buy if you find the right thing.

Jun 14, 2020 at 5:47 PM Post #5 of 11
If you can wait until CanJam then wait until then. There is no substitute for trying things on and listening for yourself.

As a longtime K550 / K702 listener I might nudge you toward some of the less expensive HiFiMan and Audeze models (don't entirely rule out Mobius for instance), and if Dan Clark Audio has anything in your price range at that point I would definitely give those a listen.

There are usually good show specials to be had, so come prepared to buy if you find the right thing.

I'll try to wait. In the meantime, I'll try to find the modmic 5 to attach to my q701s as that seems to be the best sounding headset mic I've come across.

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 11
The Q701 (K701 and K702 for that matter) punch above their price point (particularly now), similar to the HD600 and 650 and also the DT880, the old school Trio.
They will all compete against <$600 and even >$600 headphones to some degree. Personal preference plays a significant part in "what is better" or an upgrade.
You could quite easily spend $600 and not get an "upgrade". You need to identify, what an upgrade would mean to you? I guess the biggest/consistent criticisms the AKG has received over the time is lack of bass impact (and quantity) from many users and the need for powerful electronics to drive them to potential; although I don't totally agree with these condemnations. However if you were/are unimpressed with the bass as an example, then that would identify a criteria for you to seek an upgrade, plenty of headphones with more bass impact than the Q701. If on the other side, you feel that the bass is realistic and meets your expectations, then you need to identify other aspect(s) that you would want "improved" in order for people to provide suggestions for you to consider for an upgrade. If you assume that by spending $600 there will be a mighty improvement, you could be very disappointed.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 11
The Q701 (K701 and K702 for that matter) punch above their price point (particularly now), similar to the HD600 and 650 and also the DT880, the old school Trio.
They will all compete against <$600 and even >$600 headphones to some degree. Personal preference plays a significant part in "what is better" or an upgrade.
You could quite easily spend $600 and not get an "upgrade". You need to identify, what an upgrade would mean to you? I guess the biggest/consistent criticisms the AKG has received over the time is lack of bass impact (and quantity) from many users and the need for powerful electronics to drive them to potential; although I don't totally agree with these condemnations. However if you were/are unimpressed with the bass as an example, then that would identify a criteria for you to seek an upgrade, plenty of headphones with more bass impact than the Q701. If on the other side, you feel that the bass is realistic and meets your expectations, then you need to identify other aspect(s) that you would want "improved" in order for people to provide suggestions for you to consider for an upgrade. If you assume that by spending $600 there will be a mighty improvement, you could be very disappointed.

Here is an example. What makes the sound of the NAME OF GOD sound best?

Oct 17, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #9 of 11
Hm as someone who owns a Akg Q701 plus other headphones I think it's hard to upgrade the q701 under 600. The q701 has a very unique signature. Hm maybe the Sviga sv023 or the ath ad2000s would be an upgrade.

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 11
This is a tough question, because for me, it’s based on preference. So it’s not what’s “better,” it’s what I preferred over the q701 at that price point, which is completely different and may be amp and source dependent.

I preferred the hd600 with copper cans mod, the emu teak, the quad era one, and the alpha prime (used price!) over the q701.

Oct 17, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #11 of 11
Focal Elex when on sale for $599.
IMHO a Big upgrade and a great bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back