Every night at 6:14pm. Does it happen to you? The 6:14pm bug.
Jul 21, 2014 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

H20Fidelity

Headphoneus Supremus
Every night for the last year (or since I can remember), when my clock hits 6:14pm in the evening Head-fi won't load pages or they time out for about 10-15 minutes. Every single night at the exact same time it happens like clockwork.

When I try to navigate around Head-fi my google chrome tabs will just keep spinning / lagging and either eventually (If I'm lucky) change pages after 2+ minutes or simply time out with a page saying "something has gone wrong" Like this below:

During this time every night at 6:14pm it's only Head-fi that suffers, all my other social networks load. eBay, Facebook, the entire internet but for the life of me not Head-fi.

Now, I can live with it as it seems to clear up after about 15 minutes but I'll be damed I want to find out why? Why I live groundhog day over and over

Has it happened to you? Maybe at a different time of night in another country? Any idea what it might be? My internet service provider, a server timing out?

What's your opinion on the 6:14pm bug!

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 6
They tried everything with the poltergeists. Jude brought in some crazy strong incenses that his grandmother got ahold of in Hawaii, way back during the war. He stuck them in the server room overnight for the past week or two. It ended up giving Joe and a couple of the janitors in the building terrible rashes. They were lucky. Jude couldn't go to work for days because of his pink eye.

The city claimed that only the parking lot adjacent to the building had been built above the Indian reserve. Plus who were they supposed to send in to look at it anyways? The fire department? Waste disposal?

He went throught the phone books looking for exterminators, plumbers, even Halloween costume designers. Most had hung up. The costume designer gave him the number to his wife's cousin who held palm-reading lessons at the local community center....

Oh, you might want a serious answer. Well 6:14PM in Australia corresponds to around 3:14AM in Dallas, which is where geoiplookup shows head-fi.org's servers being.

Although I recall from a post that they have their servers somewhere where it's PST. But Jude lives in Metro Detroit... Perhaps the poltergeist theory isn't so wild after all.

What this usually means is that after midnight they take the servers down for maintenence.
And no, it's not just you. I see this ~1:00 AM everyday as well.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #3 of 6
  They tried everything with the poltergeists. Jude brought in some crazy strong incenses that his grandmother got ahold of in Hawaii, way back during the war. He stuck them in the server room overnight for the past week or two. It ended up giving Joe and a couple of the janitors in the building terrible rashes. They were lucky. Jude couldn't go to work for days because of his pink eye.

The city claimed that only the parking lot adjacent to the building had been built above the Indian reserve. Plus who were they supposed to send in to look at it anyways? The fire department? Waste disposal?

He went throught the phone books looking for exterminators, plumbers, even Halloween costume designers. Most had hung up. The costume designer gave him the number to his wife's cousin who held palm-reading lessons at the local community center....

Oh, you might want a serious answer. Well 6:14PM in Australia corresponds to around 3:14AM in Dallas, which is where geoiplookup shows head-fi.org's servers being.

Although I recall from a post that they have their servers somewhere where it's PST. But Jude lives in Metro Detroit... Perhaps the poltergeist theory isn't so wild after all.

What this usually means is that after midnight they take the servers down for maintenance.
And no, it's not just you. I see this ~1:00 AM everyday as well.

Ahaha! I'm not alone! You get the 6:14pm bug at 1:00am, THE 1:00am bug! 

I gathered it was something either systematic or timed because it's absolutely exactly the same time every night. 

But why would the do maintenance every night? It's kind of strange, I figured there was a dead spot or some kind of shift change over. (little men inside the servers changing shifts!)

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 6
head-fi runs on Huddler, so it's actually wherever the Huddler servers are located that matters. GeoIPTool.com returned the Softlayer data center in Dallas. Softlayer has several data centers in Dallas, including one at the Infomart - which is one of the premier hosting facilities in the country. I certainly hope they do incremental backups every night - although the backup shouldn't take the system offline - it might just slow it down a bit. They could be taking the VM offline to take a snapshot prior to the backup. OTOH, you might be amazed how often a "nightly reboot" is the solution to mysterious problems with a cranky server, switch or router - even in professional data centers. 15 minutes is about the right amount of time for a VM or switch/router reboot.

Is it really 15 minutes? It always seems like forever when a system is down, but it's often actually much less time than we imagine.

Jul 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #5 of 6
head-fi runs on Huddler, so it's actually wherever the Huddler servers are located that matters. GeoIPTool.com returned the Softlayer data center in Dallas. Softlayer has several data centers in Dallas, including one at the Infomart - which is one of the premier hosting facilities in the country. I certainly hope they do incremental backups every night - although the backup shouldn't take the system offline - it might just slow it down a bit. They could be taking the VM offline to take a snapshot prior to the backup. OTOH, you might be amazed how often a "nightly reboot" is the solution to mysterious problems with a cranky server, switch or router - even in professional data centers. 15 minutes is about the right amount of time for a VM or switch/router reboot.

Is it really 15 minutes? It always seems like forever when a system is down, but it's often actually much less time than we imagine.

It's definitely between 10-15 minutes, I've been monitoring it for over a year. Slowly starts at about 6:10pm and I notice the load times decreasing, (some pages not loading) lagging, stalling. By 6:14pm its at maximum problematic self and stays that way for a certain duration. (until about 6:30) But inbetween like when it slowly increased it slowly decreases back to normal.

It's certainly not my internet provider because I remember being with someone completely different (we changed not long ago). Same thing.

Jul 21, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Usually the page gets resolved between 5-10 minutes here.

They probably aren't taking it down to rotate logs or anything. Like Billy said they're probably resetting some switch/router.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back