Ever dropped a tube ?
Mar 10, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairbanks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dropped a Sylvania 2C51 and 12 hours later it was as white as a ghost on the inside.

Scary.

I hope mine stays with me - it was - oh, no - [size=small]is[/size] a Amperex Bugle Boy 1959 D getter. Survived the past 50 years.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:06 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MooBin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scary.

I hope mine stays with me - it was - oh, no - [size=small]is[/size] a Amperex Bugle Boy 1959 D getter. Survived the past 50 years.

Probably OK. I sure thought mine was toast.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #18 of 24
Forgot to mention: NOS that is (was ?)

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MooBin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgot to mention: NOS that is (was ?)

If you dropped while it was in the Box, it is Still NOS
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #20 of 24
While working at a guitar shop in the mid 1990's I was organizing the tubes one day. The overstock tubes were kept high up, and we needed a ladder to get to them. I ended up knocking a box containing EL34's and 6L6's to the floor from about 15 feet up. There were some survivors, but others were not so lucky.

I had been an employee for 5 years at that point so I didn't get in any trouble, but did suffer months of harassment.

Mar 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearpoweredpenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While working at a guitar shop in the mid 1990's I was organizing the tubes one day. The overstock tubes were kept high up, and we needed a ladder to get to them. I ended up knocking a box containing EL34's and 6L6's to the floor from about 15 feet up. There were some survivors, but others were not so lucky.

I had been an employee for 5 years at that point so I didn't get in any trouble, but did suffer months of harassment.

As you should have!

I'm thinking the Electronics Gods punished you with Dirty POTs, leaky Caps, Drifting Bias settings, and a few Blown Diodes to even things out!

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by les_garten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you should have!

I'm thinking the Electronics Gods punished you with Dirty POTs, leaky Caps, Drifting Bias settings, and a few Blown Diodes to even things out!

LOL. The electronics gods actually did end up punishing me. Shortly after the incident I was at band rehearsal playing through my Lee Jackson Ampeg VI502, when it started omitting at terrible odor, which was shortly followed by some black smoke. I took the amp to the repair shop at the store I worked at and when they opened it the board was fried and completely blackened. This led to more ridicule from my co-workers.

In the end it all worked out as I guess I was forgiven. Ampeg replaced the amp without issue, (it probably didn't hurt that they we were a dealer) and shortly after my replacement arrived, a guy walked into the store to sell his amp which sounded amazing. I went home got my Ampeg and brought it back to work and sold it to help fund my purchase of the amp that we had just taken in. And that's how I ended up with one of the first 500 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers ever made
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuclearpoweredpenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL. The electronics gods actually did end up punishing me. Shortly after the incident I was at band rehearsal playing through my Lee Jackson Ampeg VI502, when it started omitting at terrible odor, which was shortly followed by some black smoke. I took the amp to the repair shop at the store I worked at and when they opened it the board was fried and completely blackened. This led to more ridicule from my co-workers.

In the end it all worked out as I guess I was forgiven. Ampeg replaced the amp without issue, (it probably didn't hurt that they we were a dealer) and shortly after my replacement arrived, a guy walked into the store to sell his amp which sounded amazing. I went home got my Ampeg and brought it back to work and sold it to help fund my purchase of the amp that we had just taken in. And that's how I ended up with one of the first 500 Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifiers ever made
biggrin.gif

The Great God Cathode can be vengeful! Bet you had a few Vintage Humbuckers mysteriously die for no reason too! Definite evidence of the wrath of Cathode!

Reminds me, I need to go polish some tube pins, it's been a month...

Mar 12, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #24 of 24
Amen to that.

[size=x-small]BREAKING NEWS: Amperex survived fall from about 1 m on wooden floor ![/size]

May it still live a long and tasty life !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back