Eventful Morning With My Shures
Jul 11, 2005 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Born2bwire

25+ Member ;-)
I have gotten into the habit of listening to the Virgin classic rock radio stream during work, and between that and the classical station I listen to locally I hear nothing but British accents on the airwaves all day. I sat down this morning and was listening to the stream on my E3C's and had the desire to stand up and curse aloud after my program crashed and I lost a half-hour's worth of computations. When I took the Shures out of my ears, the tips popped right off the phones. With a little effort I was able to get the tip in my right ear out but I could not remove the one stuck in my left ear. I noticed that of my two friends that work at my site, only one of them was in at the time. And if any of you have been given any impression of the kind of person I am from my postings, i.e.: smart ass, then you can only imagine the kind of company I keep. So I decided to stay put for the next 30-40 minutes while I waited for my other friend to come in since I would never hear the end of it from the friend that was already in if he ever found out. After a quick walk, and listening to him have a more than good laugh at my expense, my friend easily took out the tip with a pair of tweezers from my pocket knife (man are they handy).

I am now looking at the E3C's and the tips slide right off rather easily. So it looks like I will have to go without any music for the day but I know that at some point I am going to break down, try the canalphones out again, get the tip stuck, and have to slink down to see my friend and give him another highlight for the day.

Jul 11, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 20
LOL, insanity - repeating the same actions again and again and expecting a different outcome. You've finally lost it big guy!
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 20
i've heard this story quite often now. as a prospective canalphone buyer, i am quite alarmed.

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:19 PM Post #4 of 20
I got an earplug stuck in my ear once. Not a good feeling!

Good thing you had tweezers handy!

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 20
A suggestion: If you are using the ultra soft flex or the regular clear tips, you might want to try a larger size tip and create a seal at the ENTRANCE to the ear canal. No need to stick 'em in deeply.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 20
I use the tri-flange tips with a pair of e3's that is use infrequently now that I have Westone UM2's...the tri-flange tips would come out in my ear whenever the tip was getting a little old and worn-out.

Jul 11, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
A suggestion: If you are using the ultra soft flex or the regular clear tips, you might want to try a larger size tip and create a seal at the ENTRANCE to the ear canal. No need to stick 'em in deeply.
biggrin.gif

I wasn't able to get a seal with the larger tip sizes and I ordered the tri flanges but I'm still trying to work out a shipping mistake with that.

EDIT: Yeah, I broke down, can't miss Alice Cooper.

Jul 11, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 20
Ive had this happen to me a few times. Its an indication I need to clean the stem or just replace the tips. The first time it happened I was on the train and I got scared $hitless. I started to freak out because it was cold out and my fingers were numb so I couldnt get a good grip with my nail. I eventually calmed down and got it after a few minutes.

Now when my tips get a bit slippery I soak them in witchazel and clean the stems really good with it too. This is one of the reasons I ordered the E4's because you can take them apart easier for cleaning purposes.

If you are reading this and are fearful of in ear phones, dont be alarmed. Just make sure you clean your tips often and know when they start becomming slippery. You cant lose a tip in your ear for good, they are easily gotten with fingernails.

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
biggrin.gif

Yep! I managed to do what you did once, but that was because I was trying to get a deep seal after someone suggested it would sound better. The tip should never enter into the canal deep enough to where the back end of it goes around the bend. If it does, it'll lodge itself in there and get stuck when you try to pull it out. This is actually talked about in the manual if you read it.

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #12 of 20
i hate hate hate IEM stories like these - freakout!

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i hate hate hate IEM stories like these - freakout!

Don't freak out, I've been using IEM's for about a year now and I've never had this happen until the other day when I intentionally shoved them in really far.

Jul 11, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #14 of 20
I was expecting something like:

"Blimey! Bugger! Fiddle sticks! The bleedin' computer just ruined half an hour's worth of work again! That thing is just absolutely pants, innit!? Know what I mean? Oh sod it!"

Jul 11, 2005 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 20
Wait till you do that with triflanges, that's the best one for it, soo long, you can grab a pair of scizzors tog et them out (I did), but the class was alarmed, lol. "Isnt that dangerous?""Nah....Ouch"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back