European Headphone Temporary Trading Club (Wanna try cans for almost nothing? Read the first post !)
Feb 10, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #242 of 308
Feb 10, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #244 of 308
Feb 16, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #245 of 308
Hi, would love to swap AKG k712 for k702 annie or Koss esp950 as 712 are to bass heavy (only headphones, that I tested, with better bass are he560)

@customcoco

@vizzle : Offer: AKG k712
      Request : AKG k702 annie, Koss esp950, HD800
      Definite Trade: I think so.

Feb 18, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #246 of 308
Sorry for the late reply. Done ! @vizzle ; @Sotiris
  Hi, would love to swap AKG k712 for k702 annie or Koss esp950 as 712 are to bass heavy (only headphones, that I tested, with better bass are he560)

@customcoco

@vizzle : Offer: AKG k712
      Request : AKG k702 annie, Koss esp950, HD800
      Definite Trade: I think so.

Feb 28, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #249 of 308
  @customcoco I'd like to add a new offer:

@Beyakusenn :
Offer: Beyerdynamic T1 Serial No. 4507 with damping mod.
Request: Something of similar performance. The LCD-2 perhaps?
Definite Trade: depending on price difference, but certainly possible.

Done !

How is that T1 ?

BTW to All ;

Please do report about the trades that may have happened here. It bumps the thread, but also gives newcomers the impression that something's actually going on here. Even I do not know when the last one took place. Thanks !

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #250 of 308
Done !

How is that T1 ?

Thanks

The T1 is still very good. It is definitely a step up from the HD580 that I also have at the moment. Mostly the imaging and the clarity of the bass are better. I applied the dampening mod myself minutes after receiving the headphone, because the peak in the treble was quite obvious. I'll probably use some more dampening material because the peak has not been tamed yet. I'd like to reduce it another 2.5dB at least. I used an onorthodox amount of dampening material and it sounds great! The treble might still be hot on bad recordings/masters, but overall I'd say it's a good improvement. Equalizing helps quite a bit too.
All dampening can be removed without leaving a trace, so no worries for permanent effects. I wouldn't like to go back though. The bass seems to be more even too. I checked with sinus waves at different frequencies and the change in the bass is so slight that it might just be my ears getting used to the sound.

In direct comparison to my SR-407, the T1 is no match. The SR-407 has better clarity, is not grainy at all, feels more airy and is clearly faster. Only imaging is slightly better on the T1 in my opinion.
The most significant difference is the natural and seamless sound of the mids and the treble with the SR-407. The bass extension is equally good on both and the quantity is very slightly more on the T1, but the attack (impulse response) is still audibly better with the SR-407. I'd call the SR-407 very neutral and the T1 treble happy.

On some Electronic tracks like Animals from Martin Garrix I can hear details with the SR-407 that I suspect the artist himself didn't pick up in the studio. Listening to that song through the T1, the bass effect sounds more like I expect it to sound than with the SR-407 because it's actually full of minute subtleties that I only hear with the electrostatic headphones.

Mar 5, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #251 of 308
  Thanks

The T1 is still very good. It is definitely a step up from the HD580 that I also have at the moment. Mostly the imaging and the clarity of the bass are better. I applied the dampening mod myself minutes after receiving the headphone, because the peak in the treble was quite obvious. I'll probably use some more dampening material because the peak has not been tamed yet. I'd like to reduce it another 2.5dB at least. I used an onorthodox amount of dampening material and it sounds great! The treble might still be hot on bad recordings/masters, but overall I'd say it's a good improvement. Equalizing helps quite a bit too.
All dampening can be removed without leaving a trace, so no worries for permanent effects. I wouldn't like to go back though. The bass seems to be more even too. I checked with sinus waves at different frequencies and the change in the bass is so slight that it might just be my ears getting used to the sound.

In direct comparison to my SR-407, the T1 is no match. The SR-407 has better clarity, is not grainy at all, feels more airy and is clearly faster. Only imaging is slightly better on the T1 in my opinion.
The most significant difference is the natural and seamless sound of the mids and the treble with the SR-407. The bass extension is equally good on both and the quantity is very slightly more on the T1, but the attack (impulse response) is still audibly better with the SR-407. I'd call the SR-407 very neutral and the T1 treble happy.

On some Electronic tracks like Animals from Martin Garrix I can hear details with the SR-407 that I suspect the artist himself didn't pick up in the studio. Listening to that song through the T1, the bass effect sounds more like I expect it to sound than with the SR-407 because it's actually full of minute subtleties that I only hear with the electrostatic headphones.

Sorry, it seems like I missed your reply somehow.

What kind of dampening material do you use ? I have bought some sorbothane for my HD650. Still have to play with that, I wonder what will benefit the most from it, soundwise...

Thanks !

Mar 6, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #252 of 308
  Sorry, it seems like I missed your reply somehow.

What kind of dampening material do you use ? I have bought some sorbothane for my HD650. Still have to play with that, I wonder what will benefit the most from it, soundwise...

Thanks !

Originally I used some felt that I still had laying around, and thin double sided tape. That made a difference, but it was obviously not enough. Incidentally, I had a damaged Wharfedale Diamond IV bookshelf speaker which I had taken apart. Usually I'd think headphones need more dense dampening material than what I found inside the Wharfedale, but it's material that breathes easily, so it wouldn't affect the semi-open character of the headphone too much, even if I used a lot of it. I cut two identical strokes of this material and put them inside the T1. They filled the whole inner space and apparently that works very well.

I also used sorbothane on the places where the driver support is pressed to the housing, but that difference was insignificant to me. The obvious lack of dampening concerns the reflections of the treble inside the standard empty housing. Now those reflections are largely absorbed, I really enjoy the T1.

Apr 9, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #253 of 308
Breathe clubbers breathe..

The impulsive buyer that I can be I don't think my request will last longer than a week but here goes:

@customcoco
@moriez
Offer: Lehmann BCL
Request : Schiit Asgard 2, Violectric V200, Burson Soloist / Soloist SL / Lycan, Lake People G109
Definite Trade: could happen

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #254 of 308
Breathe clubbers breathe..

The impulsive buyer that I can be I don't think my request will last longer than a week but here goes:

@customcoco

@moriez

Offer: Lehmann BCL
Request : Schiit Asgard 2, Violectric V200, Burson Soloist / Soloist SL / Lycan, Lake People G109
Definite Trade: could happen

Sorry for the delay. Done !

Apr 12, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #255 of 308
There is a Sennheiser Baby Orpheus system (HE60 + HEV70) for sale in my country for €1500. It has been for sale for quite a while and it was originally listed at €2000 because it has been reconditioned by Sennheiser.

I've been very curious about these headphones for a while, but I don't have the money for them. Is there anyone on this Club who might be interested? I could purchase the system, listen to it, get a Sennheiser to Stax Pro adapter, listen to it with my own amp, give a review and ship it to the true buyer. Of course I'd pay all shipping costs and ship it with insurance.

Another idea proposed by customcoco, who is also interested, is to purchase the headphones together with one or two other trusted club members. We could have some kind of loaning tour. Then after everyone has had a good listen, one of the members keeps the headphones while paying the rest their share, or we sell the headphones here on Head-fi and everyone gets his fair share.

I've been looking for adapters to Stax Pro, but can't seem to find ready-made ones. I could perhaps make one if I can find the right components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back