Eufonika (Valve amps from Poland)
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:48 PM Post #1,186 of 1,388
Hi, just wanted to drop by and introduce myself, I am new here although been lurking for a long time. I bought my H5KPCU about 6 months ago or so. I have a pair of HD6XX I was using at the time. At first I wasn't really that impressed. It came with a 6N8S and 6080. Wieslaw suggested I try a 6N13s and 6F8G. They arrived last week and the adaptor for the 6F8G arrived today. This is my first OTL and I wasn't sure what to expect. I first installed the 6N13S. I loved it. A few weeks back I got a pair of OG ZMF Auteur. Wow, they really sing on this amp. Today I installed the 6F8G. It sounds wider and imaging seems improved, more detailed too I think? Anyway, I just ordered a pair of ZMF Atrium closed and can't wait to hear them. Can someone educate me a little on OTL design, or specifically my amp, what does each tube do in the signal path? I love the sound so much I am now debating an upgrade.. what are the advantages of moving up the Eufonika ladder? Sorry for all the questions..

Congratulations on your new amp

You have some excellent information in the above posts and I thought I would add a link to a old tier review of some of the best known 6AS7G/6080 this is from the old cached bottlehead forum and while the accompanying pictures of each tube have now long gone (Google image search is your friend) some good descriptions of the sonics if the different tubes remain.

Either google "multi 6080/6as7g review" or copy and paste the below link.

the-key.enix.org/~krystal/review-tube-bottlehead.html

Also when you have narrowed down some options spend some time looking at the images of the tube plate structures there continue to be some unscrupulous sellers trying to pass off cheap russian tubes as more expensive ones by rebranding them and asking £100 + for a tube that might easily be found for circa £10.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 4:30 PM Post #1,189 of 1,388
Wow! That was brilliant! Exactly what I was after. Thanks so much.. a lot to take in.. I will have a look around at some of the tubes you mention, I might as well order the adapters now though eh, they seem to take a bit longer to arrive coming from China! What does the driver tube do vs the output tube? Is it like a pre amp & power amp in a LS stereo?
You're welcome... it is way too much to take in... that's why I limited the list so drastically. :ksc75smile:

You can talk to @Deyan about custom adapters as well. See his work here.

Driver vs output is sort of like pre & power, but simpler. The driver tube performs the voltage amplification - the output tube follows the cathode to provide the current, the muscle to move those inertia-constrained diaphragms. The driver tube provides most of the sonic footprint (earprint?) - however, since no output tube is perfectly transparent (CV4079 almost is), matching/rolling different combos of driver/output is where the fun, the joy, the ongoing cost of tube rolling gets going.

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #1,191 of 1,388
Welcome to this cozy thread! Great answer as always by @LobalWarming. Don’t forget about the E80CCs too, loving my Philips Heerlens.

As you mentioned E80cc behold the mythical E80CC silver plate 😁

5954683.jpg

A old pic of one of my Crack builds

6363279.jpg

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #1,192 of 1,388
You're welcome... it is way too much to take in... that's why I limited the list so drastically. :ksc75smile:

You can talk to @Deyan about custom adapters as well. See his work here.

Driver vs output is sort of like pre & power, but simpler. The driver tube performs the voltage amplification - the output tube follows the cathode to provide the current, the muscle to move those inertia-constrained diaphragms. The driver tube provides most of the sonic footprint (earprint?) - however, since no output tube is perfectly transparent (CV4079 almost is), matching/rolling different combos of driver/output is where the fun, the joy, the ongoing cost of tube rolling gets going.
Thanks! It's certainly another rabbit hole! I think I need a spreadsheet.. so many variables to take into account, source (turntable Vs streaming) then phono/DAC, then the amp, NOW the tubes(?!), then your headphones (and associated pads).. like a padlock with infinite combinations!

I have ordered a pair of GEC L63 and 4079 with associated adapters to see what the fuss is about! I shall report back with my findings.. I guess with an amp like this H5 (or any Eufonika?) There are also variables in manufacturing too, so everyone will get something slightly different?

Nov 28, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #1,193 of 1,388
Thanks! It's certainly another rabbit hole! I think I need a spreadsheet.. so many variables to take into account, source (turntable Vs streaming) then phono/DAC, then the amp, NOW the tubes(?!), then your headphones (and associated pads).. like a padlock with infinite combinations!

I have ordered a pair of GEC L63 and 4079 with associated adapters to see what the fuss is about! I shall report back with my findings.. I guess with an amp like this H5 (or any Eufonika?) There are also variables in manufacturing too, so everyone will get something slightly different?
Too many variables, indeed. Far too many for a mere spreadsheet whenever a turntable is involved.

Surprisingly, among the people I know with H5s, they are very consistent for a boutique product. The robust power supply and employing a circuit board helps. The tubes, oh the sweet and bitter tubes are far more variable. As well as our sweet and bitter moods...

Congrats on birthing twin Twins! The L63s and CV4079s are a wonderful place to start your 80 to 800 tube journey.

Dec 4, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #1,200 of 1,388
Hey guys H22M reporting live, any decent tubes while a cook and zimmer the stock tubes. Ordered in November took like 3 weeks amazing. Wieslaw is a hidden Gem.
Very nice mate, love it!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back