Etymotics HF5 vs B & W C5 for Indie Rock, Garage Rock and Hip-Hop
Dec 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Barnaby12

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys,

So, I bought myself Etymotics HF5s yetersday on Amazon. Today, for Chanukah, my mom got me Bowers and Wilkins C5s. Which to keep? Are the C5s better than the HF5s or is the price difference a branding thing?  If the C5s are a better headphone, I will keep them.  I read a few places you can get a better headphone for the money (C5s), but in the end it's going to be one or the other. 

So let's hear it! Is it worth it to keep the C5s??

Dec 24, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #2 of 18
The hf5 are great. Haven't heard the C5, but B&W headphones offering aren't impressive, at least compared to their speakers.

The HF5 may lack the kick for rock and boomy bass for hip hop, but it's accurate.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 18

Quote:
Hey Guys,

So, I bought myself Etymotics HF5s yetersday on Amazon. Today, for Chanukah, my mom got me Bowers and Wilkins C5s. Which to keep? Are the C5s better than the HF5s or is the price difference a branding thing?  If the C5s are a better headphone, I will keep them.  I read a few places you can get a better headphone for the money (C5s), but in the end it's going to be one or the other. 

So let's hear it! Is it worth it to keep the C5s??

YOu're getting them, might as well test both of them.  Let your ears decide.  Although I would say that for those genres, the C5s would be better, the HF5s work as well.  The C5s main problem is the stingent edgy highs.  The midrange is a little bright as well while the bass can intrude at times but really hit hard (mid-bass focus) with deep impact.  Texture is there, but not in great strength to offset the mid-bass power.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 18
yup don't ask us listen to them and then keep the one you like the most. Heck you might find they are both excellent at different things have to different IEM for different situations.

BTW I LOVE my HF3 (same as HF5 but with apple controls and mic).

Dec 25, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 18

Quote:
YOu're getting them, might as well test both of them.  Let your ears decide.  Although I would say that for those genres, the C5s would be better, the HF5s work as well.  The C5s main problem is the stingent edgy highs.  The midrange is a little bright as well while the bass can intrude at times but really hit hard (mid-bass focus) with deep impact.  Texture is there, but not in great strength to offset the mid-bass power.

Sounds like the best idea.  I'm just not sure about the return policies if they are opened.  I'll have to check out Amazon and Apple and see.

Thanks!

Edit:
Also, Question: What are the negatives of the HF5s as compared with the above negatives?

Dec 25, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:

Sounds like the best idea.  I'm just not sure about the return policies if they are opened.  I'll have to check out Amazon and Apple and see.

Thanks!

Edit:
Also, Question: What are the negatives of the HF5s as compared with the above negatives?

Amazon will allow you to return, Apple may give you a gift card if it's out of date (EG past the 30 days; what they did with my case I bought). 

As for the negatives of the HF5, sorry I forgot about those :p  LOL, I'm a little biased towards an analytic sound, but don't always realize it (this is such a case).  The HF5s do have negatives (now I'm using HF2s, again, same driver, just has a single button remote and mic).  The main negatives will be the bass.  The bass is great quality towards a decent punch and amazing texture, but does not hold a large enough body to create a bass presence.  Essentially, this can result in you losing the bass in denser songs.  The other main complaint I do see is that the highs on the HFs (although weren't to me) can be stringent and partially harsh/fatiguing at times.  As for the strengths, the midrange is absolute beauty.  Gorgeous clarity, details, and separation are around for you to enjoy, and the high end keeps this going.  Another main complaint is the soundstage is lost a bit with the Etymotics. 

Dec 25, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 18
Thanks! This is great info. 

So, I finally took the C5s out of the packaging and am definitely feeling that the bass is a bit over powering and the highs are edgy.  I also read that some of these problems fade with "burning-out."  Is this a real thing for these headphones and what is it?

I'm excited for the HF5s to get here so I can compare them.

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 18
Being a dynamic based IEM the bass and treble will likely change as the break in. Usually the bass will change first and most of that change will likely happen in the first 24 hours. Treble is the hardest to notice and slowest to change in my experience, it may take up to a hundred hours and sometimes more to fully settle down. But don't take that to mean have to let them burn in that long before you can use or enjoy them. I would suggest breaking them in by playing music/pink/brown/white noise at night and then just use them during the day.

The BA based HF5 will have little change in sound so can just be used in my opinion but if concerned burn them in at night as well.

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #9 of 18

Quote:
Thanks! This is great info. 

So, I finally took the C5s out of the packaging and am definitely feeling that the bass is a bit over powering and the highs are edgy.  I also read that some of these problems fade with "burning-out."  Is this a real thing for these headphones and what is it?

I'm excited for the HF5s to get here so I can compare them.

It's burn-in (burn-out would mean your headphones die :p  We don't want that).  The bass settles down, but never really goes away unfortunately keeping a forward presentation.  Treble mainly will remain a little edgy and sibilant/harsh.  These headphones, from my experiences burn in quite a lot. 

Can't wait to see your takes on the HF5.  Give them both one week (alone) before you return either (also try to compare them head to head on the third week to make your final decision (after you've tested each for a week).

Dec 25, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
Being a dynamic based IEM the bass and treble will likely change as the break in. Usually the bass will change first and most of that change will likely happen in the first 24 hours. Treble is the hardest to notice and slowest to change in my experience, it may take up to a hundred hours and sometimes more to fully settle down. But don't take that to mean have to let them burn in that long before you can use or enjoy them. I would suggest breaking them in by playing music/pink/brown/white noise at night and then just use them during the day.
The BA based HF5 will have little change in sound so can just be used in my opinion but if concerned burn them in at night as well.

Although you can't assume this, this is precisely what happens.  Normally how something burns in is hard to determine since it's headphone dependent (Eg it has to be documented first).  I honestly couldn't enjoy them at all until they burned in.  They are a good pair of headphones, don't get me wrong, but for 180 bills, a little (understatement) overpriced as I have some headphones in the < 100 market (both comparisons made at MSRP) that can compete with them.

As for my HF2s, the only thing I noticed was that the treble softened up a bit (only a bit).

Dec 25, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I recently bought a Fiio E6 amp and it really transforms the HF5 - you can select 3 EQ presets and one of them boosts the bass so that it sounds great!

The E1 gives both of my Etymotics EtyKids* and HF2s a nice bump in bass.  The EtyKids also loose that harshness/sibilance in the higher frequencies as well*. 

*Now I still have to say that Etymotic doesn't endorse the use of an amp with the EtyKids as that will allow the headphones to pass safe listening levels.

OK, on to the C5, I never used them with an amp (since I'm a portable listener, I rarely use an amp, but do have a portable E1 amp)...  Well, there is a first time for everything.  The C5s do improve with the E1s, as the treble edgyness goes away :)  The bass also becomes less flabby :)  It actually makes these more tolerable tolerable.

Dec 26, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
I've got plenty of experience with the Ety sound but what is the build quality like of the HF series?  

Like a tank...  Three words is all it takes to say so much.

Dec 26, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
Like a tank...  Three words is all it takes to say so much.

Really?  That's good to hear.  I was going to order some yesterday but couldn't help but second guess myself after seeing some of the Amazon (haha) reviews saying they fall apart.  

Any apprehensions as far as going with the model with the mic for mobile phone use?  I could see how the extra controller could end up being a failure point but it would be a nice convenience.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back