EtymoticResearch ER4pt - InEar StageDriver 2 - Ocharaku SUI
Sep 1, 2014 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

TheDreamthinker

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Fellow-Head-Fi'ers,

Just lost my HiFiman RE-262 on while getting off a plane. After 2 years of owning it, i can tell that they were much too mellow for my taste.
Being a GRADO owner, I thought about getting the er4pt due to its accentuated (non-spiky) treble region and speed.

On the other hand, while in Taipei, i had the opportunity to audition many high end iems (IE800, FAD, UERM, SE535...). Despite of these other listens, the SD2 and its soundstage and clean highs left me rather impressed. Great fit and isolation.

The Ocharaku SUI which i also had time to audition, is fairly similar to a GRADOish sound i like. Yet i found the separation lacking. Very difficult to get and also expensive.

1. I fear that the Ety, while being an instant winner for me (from a meet i heard it at), may have not enough bass to handle more bass demanding music - House, Electronic, etc. (versatile?). A very small soundstage. Seperation is reasonably good.

1. The SD2, while good, is not a sound sig i would normally enjoy (bass/warm yet well executed) and is expensive for a dual-ba (350Euro) - that money would possibly buy me a decent pair of customs (http://www.cosmicears.com/shop/ba4/). The soundstage is impressively vast. Great fit.

1. The Ocharaku SUI have a very nice presentation. Ocharakus are expensive and difficult to get by. Only decent isolation. Small soundstage. Sub par separation & layering (from my listen). (The fit is a bit strange, yet ok).

Music genres are:

1. Contemporary Classical (Minimalism - e.g. Steve Reich..)
  2. House
  3. Lounge
  4. ChillOut 
  5. Soundscape
  6. DubStep
  7. Drum 'n' Bass
  8. OldSchool Rap / HipHop
  9. J-Rock
  10. J-Pop
  11. Jazz
  12. Chinese Folkmusic (ErHu - Very Fast...)
  13. Chinese & Japanese Vocals

Any ideas? 

Thank you for reading.

TheDreamthinker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back