etymotic two flange vs three flange seal?
Aug 7, 2006 at 1:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aroon

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys, i was wondering if any one else has had issues moving from etymotic er-6's to anything else with a three flange tip? i just cant seem to get a good seal with the three flange tips...

in fact, i've been listening to my brothers er-6i's for about 24 hours now and my initial impressions are pretty bad. a lot of the sound seems repressed and somehow the levels seems really erratic. in some songs, the mids are bass are really pronounced and heavy and in others i hear nothing but highs.

im not sure what to think...my er-6's sounded much more balanced and detailed than the er-6i's to me...i'm just hoping this is because my seal isn't as good as it should be with the er-6i's.

btw my source is an ipod nano. anyone else feel the same way?

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:36 PM Post #2 of 4
Some people (including me) have problems with the three-flange tips in that if they are inserted far enough to seal properly then the tips can get compressed or closed-off due to hitting the ear canal. This will make listening results very inconsistent, along the lines of what you are describing. If this is what's going on the solution is to remove the third flange and create two-flange tips. You can get these to seal without having the tip close off against the ear canal.

Aug 7, 2006 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 4
holy effing ess batman. you were 100% correct. i tossed the tips from my er-6s on the er-6i's and they sound amazing. bass response is GREATLY improved over the er-6s. sounds like the highs are a lot sharper too...not sure if they're too sharp for me yet; i could see this being fatiguing after a while but we'll see.

thanks for this tip!

Aug 7, 2006 at 5:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Yep, sounds like you had a classic case of the problem. After the mod the lows get better because the overall seal is better and the highs increase because the opening in the tips is not being closed off.

The ER6i shouldn't sound all that different on the high end than the ER6... maybe listen to them for a while to get used to the new tips and then see what you think.

Glad this helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back