Etymotic HF5 Vs Monster Turbine Vs Shure SE215
Nov 14, 2011 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ScfcTiLLy

New Head-Fier
 Right then. I listen to various music genres and the two bands i listen to mostly are Enter Shikari and Kasabian, Favourite genres include: Drum and Bass, Indy and rock. Im looking for good sound quality, comfort and a preference of mine is that i hate sound leakage. I can get all of these for a similar price so any other headphones that better these would be welcome? Which of these is best? And finally, which of these would suit me best? 
Thankyou in advance!

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 12
Etys are significantly superior to turbines and shures in every way except for bass quantity.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 12
I can't speak for the Shures or Monsters but the Etymotic HF series produce really well controlled base but there isn't an emphasis on it.  If you want the bass to be the focus then I wouldn't recommend the HF5 but that is not to say that they don't offer good bass.  I think the bass is superb.  Its tight, well defined, all without trying to draw too much attention to itself.  Then there are the absolutely amazing highs.  They may seem bright at first but give your mind a chance to burn in with them and you will fall in love.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 12
This would be exactly my response.

Quote:
If you don't need loads of bass, the Etys will outperform the other two in pretty much every way, particularly isolation.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:
Is the HF5 the best in the Etymotic range?

No, the ER4 is another step up in slight clarity, and esp in musc cohesiveness -- it just sounds more natural to the ear over the HF5.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:13 PM Post #8 of 12
ER4 Series require an amp to shine while the HF series do not. Without an amp, the difference between the HF5s and ER4Ps are minimal. 

Nov 15, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #12 of 12
I will concede the ER4S performs best with an amp due to the high impedance; but the ER4P can produce good bass response with a good DAP, even without an amp -- my Cowon J3 drives it very well. 

Quote:
ER4 Series require an amp to shine while the HF series do not. Without an amp, the difference between the HF5s and ER4Ps are minimal. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back