etymotic hf5 isolation?
Jul 9, 2017 at 9:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

anuenlil

New Head-Fier
Dear all,

When i first tried the much-acclaimed etymotic hf5 with the triple flanges that appear to be standard setup, it was horrible. I now realize that it was down to not achieving a proper seal, which i have never been able to do unless with the foam inserts instead. Is this normal? Are my ear canals out of the ordinary?

Cheers
Steven

Jul 20, 2017 at 8:04 AM Post #3 of 5
If you weren't getting a seal with triples, you either need larger ones or weren't pushing them in far enough. Personally, I can't stand the things and get itchy in a short period of time when used correctly. The correct fit is where they bend around a corner and you think you may shortly poke your gray matter.

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 5
Out of all the tips I have used through the years, I feel the triple flanged tips are still the best at getting an easy seal. Etymotics had the gray tips before, those worked much better than the semi-transparent ones that became standard later on.

Jul 20, 2017 at 4:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you for the feedback! Clearly, experiences with the triple flanged tips are vastly different. I'll keep trying them (perhaps there is a magic trick I haven't gotten yet).

Goodvibes's experiences roughly match mine, in that the experience of Etymotic tips bears a passing similarity to sex in male-oriented erotica: they must be pushed all the way in, and just when you think your orifice can't have any more, they need to be pushed in just a little further.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back