Etymotic ER4P better than ER6i?
Jan 10, 2009 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ChroniCali

1000+ Head-Fier
So I have a pair of ER6i's right now that I have been using for 2-3 years. The connector at the bottom finally put out, and I have attached a new head onto it, but when I twist the connector when its in the jack, I can hear a lot of static and basically the connection isn't good enough.

Basically, I want to know if the ER4P are substantially better than the ER6i. I am able to pick up a new pair of ER4P for around $85 and wondering if I will feel it as an upgrade. I hear the bass on the ER6i is stronger than the bass on the ER4P, can anyone clarify this? I think the bass on the ER6i is okay, but I definitely can't live with much less than that. I hear the clarity on the highs are beautiful on the ER4P.

I listen to a lot of hip-hop, rock, classical, pop, and basically just the entire spectrum of music. Do you guys think the ER4P will cut it for me, at $85?
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 12
What er4p for $85? if you're sure that it's not a counterfeit go cop it and sell it for more if you're not satisfied..you really have nothing to lose there.

i have er4p and yes there's a difference especially the clarity part on mids and highs imo. bass on the er4 is weak though regardless of the seal. my main genres are also hip-hop and rock and sometimes i wish i got UE super.fi 5 instead. but still there's no way you turn down er4p for $85. where are u getting them?

Jan 10, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where for $85 and are they new?

well theyre basically new
biggrin.gif

my dad's friend got them two weeks ago along with some w3s for christmas... he likes the w3s better so hes willing to let me have the er4ps for 85 with original receipt
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I might as well pick them up and check them out myself.

I just hope the bass is at least par if not better than the er6i, I'm sure everything else should be significantly better haha.

OH YEAH, just making sure cuz it looks like it... the ER4Ps have detachable/replaceable cables right??

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChroniCali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well theyre basically new
biggrin.gif

my dad's friend got them two weeks ago along with some w3s for christmas... he likes the w3s better so hes willing to let me have the er4ps for 85 with original receipt
smily_headphones1.gif

I guess I might as well pick them up and check them out myself.

I just hope the bass is at least par if not better than the er6i, I'm sure everything else should be significantly better haha.

OH YEAH, just making sure cuz it looks like it... the ER4Ps have detachable/replaceable cables right??

Their cables are detachable and replaceable from the black, round thing. I am not familiar with the ER6i so I can not comment on them. The ER4P's bass is underwhelming compared to other IEMs. So if you want lots of bass they might not be your cup of tea.

Jan 11, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 12
I have both. I personally find the bass just a little excessive on the ER-4p (as i do with the UE super 5.pro) I find the ER-6i have just the right amount of bass for me. But really the ohm difference is what differentiates them to me- I don't use the ER-4p on a ipod as they seem underpowered on it. That said, I haven't spend a real lot of time listening to them, so maybe my brain has not had time to adjust to them.

Grab them. I think it highly unlikely you'll be disappointed.

edit- The ER-4 cable is replaceable, but not user replaceable to the extent that Etymotic insists you send them in to have the cable replaced, instead of selling you a cable.

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:47 AM Post #8 of 12
If $85 can get you one of the best IEMs on the market in more than a decade from a very respective producer, why not?

Jan 11, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 12
Yeah, there's not much to lose. Try them out. If you like them, you like them, and you can sell your ER6i. If you prefer your ER6i, I'll buy the ER4P from ya for $85 no problem.
biggrin.gif

The ER4 line has been around for a very long time, long standing, long loved. Headphones come in a lot of flavors though, and everyone has their own preferences. This being said, no one headphone is the perfect fit for everyone. In the end, you sort of have to try what you can and find the best fit that you can be happy with, whatever it may be.

Jan 11, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy them and if you don't like them I'll give you $100 for them. Assuming they're legit, at least.

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back