Etymotic ER4 Replacement
Sep 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #16 of 41
Or you may consider the Fitear F111

I considered them...

Then when I found out the price of the F111.

Well... I could buy one of each Etymotic ER-4 Series IEM for the price of one F111.

Needless to say, that was not a very long consideration.

I just ain't got those kind of bucks. Some might though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers, Jim

Sep 5, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #17 of 41
Quote:
I considered them...
Then when I found out the price of the F111.
Well... I could buy one of each Etymotic ER-4 Series IEM for the price of one F111.
Needless to say, that was not a very long consideration.
I just ain't got those kind of bucks. Some might though.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Cheers, Jim

The suggestion was specifically meant for robm321 who said "I should try the comply foam or just get customs and call it a day". If he looks into that IEM, he will find out about the price and see if whatever the F111 offers at that price is worth it.

Unlike you, who will post on so many threads recommending the Etys, this is actually the very first time I point someone to the F111s and ONLY did so because they mentioned custom IEMs as an alternative. I'd appreciate it if you stopped your attitude, which already got you into trouble recently.

The ER4 is not an IEM for everyone. Like I said on the F111 thread, I myself almost pulled the trigger on the ER4s 5 times in the last 10 years but didn't for a number of reasons.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #18 of 41
^ thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't heard about that one yet. I actually meant get the custom tips for the Etys.

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #20 of 41
Quote:
The small olives were the first foamies I tried too.
I found they were not soft enough.
Tried the Comply, and my oh my, what a difference.
Give em a shot. They will make you renew your vows to your Etys.
Jim

I agree! Got my HF5's today and ordered some Comply TX100's. They are super comfy.

Gotta say, in comparing my HD800's and a Woo Audio22, I didn't expect sound could be so good with an Iphone 4S and a Headstage Arrow.

Might have to give the wife the HF5's and upgrade to the ER4S. Could I use the ER4S with my Woo Setup too or are these fr amplified portables only?

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #21 of 41
I agree! Got my HF5's today and ordered some Comply TX100's. They are super comfy.

Gotta say, in comparing my HD800's and a Woo Audio22, I didn't expect sound could be so good with an Iphone 4S and a Headstage Arrow.

Might have to give the wife the HF5's and upgrade to the ER4S. Could I use the ER4S with my Woo Setup too or are these fr amplified portables only?

WARNING...

If you buy and listen to Etymotic ER-4S Series IEMs with a good amp.

You WILL BE RUINED!!!

Seriously Good Stuff.

Jim

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #22 of 41
Why don't you guys go with the ETy ER-4S with custom molded ear pieces? They are just a tad over $100 for an audiologist to make the impressions and for the company to send them to you. It is a world of difference! I have tried several others that won't even come close to the natural sound of the 4S's. Go to the Ety website and look up the custom ear pieces... they will tell you where to go in your area.

I'm surprised I don't see any more of you guys going this route. I have never found an ear tip for any IEM that will not drive me up the wall after about 30 minutes or so. But, it's not just the comfort fit of the molded ear pieces... they make the 4S's SING!

Sep 6, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #23 of 41
You can use the ER4S with a home amp (not sure about HF5. The ER4's scale like crazy. But put the volume to zero first to be safe.

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #24 of 41
Quote:
WARNING...
If you buy and listen to Etymotic ER-4S Series IEMs with a good amp.
You WILL BE RUINED!!!
Seriously Good Stuff.
Jim

ORDERING THEM NOW......

Thanks for spending my money Jim! Haven't been on this forum for months since I got my Woo & HD800's, two days in, I'm out $400! :)

Sep 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #25 of 41
ORDERING THEM NOW......

Thanks for spending my money Jim! Haven't been on this forum for months since I got my Woo & HD800's, two days in, I'm out $400! :)

Money Well Spent... A Lifetime Investment.

I will say this about that. When I recieved my first set of used ER-4. I called Etymotic and asked the age of the unit. They said based on the BA Numbers the set was 10 years old. I asked about future repairs and whatnot. The guy chuckled and said...

You could drop em into a leaf shreder, send em in, and we will rebuild them entirely for $130.00 plus shipping.

Perdy Dang Awesome... IMHO!!!

Enjoy Them, Jim

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #26 of 41
I've had my ER4s for about 10 years and find the tips harden or stiffen slightly after a while(a month or so). Are you guys replacing them regularly? Also, I often "lube" them with Chapstick. I don't get the ear torture mentioned unless I wear them all day for consecutive days.

Best wishes,

Steve

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #27 of 41
Can't seem to find the ER4-P's in stock anywhere....

Thinking of getting the P's for portable use and use the adapter for the Woo

Sep 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #28 of 41
Here ya go:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749174-REG/Etymotic_Research_ER_4PT_ER_4PT_MicroPro_In_Ear_Stereo.html

Jim

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:32 PM Post #29 of 41
Found some on Amazon, last pair!

Sep 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #30 of 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back