Etymotic ER2SE - A Reference Headphone for your Ears and Your Couplers
Jul 27, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #272 of 283
my man oratory! lol.

I'm also interested @csglinux . I've been building up my database at dent.reviews and just found this because i told mark at super reviews that we should come up with a way to be able to match our graphing standards somehow. and he is always one step ahead of me and pointed me here...

I'm using an iec711 mic...

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #273 of 283
my man oratory! lol.

I'm also interested @csglinux . I've been building up my database at dent.reviews and just found this because i told mark at super reviews that we should come up with a way to be able to match our graphing standards somehow. and he is always one step ahead of me and pointed me here...

I'm using an iec711 mic...
Welcome buddy. It's been way too long!

I hope Mark can persuade all squiglink contributors to sign up. It makes sense not just for cross-compatibility, but you really want to be able to reliably compare to Harman, or at least know that somebody else can closely reproduce your own preference target.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #274 of 283
Welcome buddy. It's been way too long!

I hope Mark can persuade all squiglink contributors to sign up. It makes sense not just for cross-compatibility, but you really want to be able to reliably compare to Harman, or at least know that somebody else can closely reproduce your own preference target.
indeed. life is a B sometimes. haha. if it weren't for mark i probably wouldn't be getting back into audio as much as i am...

Nov 19, 2022 at 7:00 PM Post #277 of 283
Hi, I've seen previous messages on this thread but I wanted to ask once again since there any many discounts around this time.
I wanted to buy a replacement cable for the ER2SE, Lunashops seems a reliable site and searching I found two around 20-30£ seemingly supporting this Etymotic type, the LN008099 and LN007512. Someones in this thread said I needed to ask for the type 2 that's specific to the Etymotic or they'll ship the standard type.
Are these good models, can you suggest me a pair around the same price? Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #283 of 283
Summary on the current state of the ER2SE tour

Firstly - a huge big thank you to everyone who's contributed so far. It's grown way beyond just ER2SE :)

We have some folks outside head-fi who are interested in joining this tour, so I wanted to put a quick post together to summarize the current state of the tour kit and why you might want to join.

IEMs currently in the kit:
Etymotic ER2SE, Samsung/AKG EO-IG955, Sony MH755, Blon BL-05, ATH CKN50 + test nest, and HTS CE1.

Misc. items in the kit:
Rode XLR adapter, TRRS mic adapter cable, Eidolic 2.5 mm to 3.5 mm adapter, Conexant cx31993 dongle (Earfonia had the idea to include this to help calibrate SPL without needing an SPL meter. It also has a very low output impedance, which is what you'd want for measuring IEMs.). Earfonia - have I forgotten anything?!

The initial goal was to better understand the response from currently-available ear simulators. I think we have a reasonable handle on that now as these IEMs have been measured with a wide range of rigs - everything from DIY vinyl-tubes all the way up to a full B&K HATS system. I'll post some meta-data on all this when I get the time. I see the tour now transitioning into a couple of other (equally important) roles:

1) To help people report consistent measurements from their own couplers.
There are a large number of databases springing up all over the internet now using Marshall Lochbaum's JavaScript graphing wizardry (or some fork of it). Almost all of these databases are produced using clone (711) couplers. As a result, while they may be self-consistent, comparing or autoEQ-ing FRs from one database to another - or even just comparing against the Harman target - involves a random, unknown error. As Oratory1990 points out in the reddit post I linked to above, we can likely never make these errors vanish completely, but we can eliminate a significant part of the discrepancy by at least calibrating these clone couplers against the GRAS (RA0045) standard, measuring the exact same headphones with the exact same eartips (and trying to carefully match the exact same insertion depth). All measurement data files are available electronically and we have instructions for tour members on how to use these to calibrate your own coupler. This isn't going to give you a GRAS coupler - many clones (including Crinacle's) still have some idiosyncrasies, such as that 1 kHz wobble that was discussed early on in this thread. But calibration can help alleviate many common issues, such as the early low- and high-frequency roll-offs in many clone-coupler mics, and you can also retroactively correct any existing measurements, post-calibration.

2) To help us get a better understanding of the mean and standard deviation of the human ear response and how that correlates with existing ear simulators. This was the idea behind the CE1 (explained more here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/introducing-the-ce1-the-worlds-most-somethingist-headphone.25259/).

If anybody's interested in joining the tour, feel free to pm me or reach out on Discord. I'll need your name, address, email and phone number (international shipping typically requires all the above). I'll try to keep the section below updated as the tour progresses.

The tour kit is currently with NewWaveK. The queue now looks like this:

listener (Discord) - Pennsylvania, USA
Luisdent - Texas, USA
Mad_Economist (Discord) Washington, USA
artburda (headfi/ASR), Switzerland (shipping order TBD)
Seanwee - Malaysia
@csglinux Last edited in may of 2023. What happened to the tour?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back