Etymotic ER-4Ps - worth it?
Jan 20, 2007 at 7:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

imported_dan_a

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've had the Shure E2c IEMs for about 2 years now. I like them well enough, I suppose, but I've had some issues with the cabling (keeps cracking) and I've had them replaced by Shure, under warranty, a number of times. Also, they aren't so comfortable, and I think they are a little too heavy on the bass.

I decided it's time to upgrade. My price range is about $150-200 maximum. I'm looking at the Etymotic ER-4Ps. I've read about 20 or 30 reviews of them (most of them on Head-Fi) and I am really just googly-eyed in imagining how awesome these must be. However, I thought it might be wise to ask particularly whether they might be suited to my tastes in sound, music and comfort level.

I listen to a wide variety of things, but I would say the types of music I most listen to is electronic (Daft Punk, Crystal Method), acoustic (from Cat Stevens to John Mayer), female vocal (Imogen Heap, Holly Brook, and just discovered Corinne Bailey Rae), as well as rock and alternative (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Dave Matthews, Oasis, Duncan Sheik, Death Cab for Cutie). Yeah, ok, that's still a pretty wide variety. But I do have specifics on what sort of sound I like:

1) I'm not too big on bass. I mean, I like it, but I don't want too much. I think a lot of cans and stereos nowadays are too heavy on the bass (my E2c's included!). I've heard that the low-end of the ER-4Ps is good but not overdone, which I think is what I'd like.
2) Soundstage? I don't care. There's been a lot of talk about soundstage on IEMs, which really seems incorrect to me. How can there be soundstage? The speakers are right IN your ear! Anyway, I have been using an IEM for 2 years so I know how it's "in your head," so to speak, and I like that.
3) Mids are good, highs are good, hopefully fairly balanced, but I like detail too, I want to hear the details of the instruments, the fingers on the fretboard, etc.

The other thing that's important to me is comfort. That's one of the big downfalls of the Shure E2c, I think. I've heard mixed reviews about the comfort of the ER-4Ps. It's better than the Shures, I hope? I can't wear my Shures for more than about 2 hours before my ears start to hurt.

Oh, also, I have fairly small ears - I started out using the small foamies on the Shures and then switched to the soft flexes when they came out.

I'm sure someone has some great advice for me. I haven't posted much, but I read this form all the time and I love it!

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 10
Like Grados and Senns, the IEM wars used to be over Shure and Etys. People fall in one camp or the other so the "better" label gets thrown around a lot. While most would agree the ER4P/S specifically are a class above the e2cs, Shure obviously has other models. If you're asking me personally, I've never heard a Shure I liked, so the Etys are a great option.
cool.gif
Basically it sounds like you understand the signature differences though.

EDIT: Since you just listed bands, I should mention depending on what attracts you to Crystal Method, Zep or Floyd, the Etys bass could feel a little lacking. I wouldn't say that about the rest, nor would I for those bands depending on your interest there.

Jan 20, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #3 of 10
if you go the ety route i suggest the er4s and an amp like the rsa sr71 or go vibe v5.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 10
Comfort wise the ER4P's are considerably more comfortable to me than the E2's from Shure at least with the older clear silicone plugs (E2). Never tried the soft plugs for the E2 as I had too many pairs that went bad before a month was up so for me no more Shure products period. Sound wise the E2's didn't seem so much to me to have an overabundance of bass & especially not deep bass as they had a muffled midrange & top end. The notes were there but there was absolutely no life to them.

This all is quite unlike the ER4P's that I have that are absolutely full of life & not a muffled sound to it's body. Oh did I mention body?? Yes they have body to thier sound but not too much. In fact it is just right in body. Now here is the killer. These have incredably tight bass. Usually that means that you sacrifice extension , right? Not here!! These have probably the best extension of any IEM that I have ever heard & that includes the Superfi 5 Pro's. the 5 pro's have boomy bass but not particularly deep bass. The only thing that The ER4P's sacrifice is overall efficiency. You need to give them more juice than most other IEM's but the payoff is royally good firm sound.

Jan 20, 2007 at 8:15 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comfort wise the ER4P's are considerably more comfortable to me than the E2's from Shure at least with the older clear silicone plugs (E2). Never tried the soft plugs for the E2 as I had too many pairs that went bad before a month was up so for me no more Shure products period. Sound wise the E2's didn't seem so much to me to have an overabundance of bass & especially not deep bass as they had a muffled midrange & top end. The notes were there but there was absolutely no life to them.

This all is quite unlike the ER4P's that I have that are absolutely full of life & not a muffled sound to it's body. Oh did I mention body?? Yes they have body to thier sound but not too much. In fact it is just right in body. Now here is the killer. These have incredably tight bass. Usually that means that you sacrifice extension , right? Not here!! These have probably the best extension of any IEM that I have ever heard & that includes the Superfi 5 Pro's. the 5 pro's have boomy bass but not particularly deep bass. The only thing that The ER4P's sacrifice is overall efficiency. You need to give them more juice than most other IEM's but the payoff is royally good firm sound.

That is very well put but you don't really need that much juice to power the 4P.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 10
germanium;2645280 said:
These have probably the best extension of any IEM that I have ever heard & that includes the Superfi 5 Pro's. the 5 pro's have boomy bass but not particularly deep bass.
I currently have both the Super.Fi 5Pro and the ER-4P and I have to say that this statement is just not true. Using the Ultrasone Test CD and Massive Attack's Mezzanine, I find the 5Pro to have not only more, but deeper bass as well compared to the ER-4P. The bass is obviously more abundent as well. The ER-4P have an advantage for those looking for mids and highs, but not bass.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 10
gtp;2646150 said:
germanium;2645280 said:
These have probably the best extension of any IEM that I have ever heard & that includes the Superfi 5 Pro's. the 5 pro's have boomy bass but not particularly deep bass. Quote:

I currently have both the Super.Fi 5Pro and the ER-4P and I have to say that this statement is just not true. Using the Ultrasone Test CD and Massive Attack's Mezzanine, I find the 5Pro to have not only more, but deeper bass as well compared to the ER-4P. The bass is obviously more abundent as well. The ER-4P have an advantage for those looking for mids and highs, but not bass.

I have had both too & had trouble with the extension on the 5Pro's. I went to some trouble to correct this but unsuccessfull. They did somewhat better on my home system but still not what I get out of the ER4P's even on my portable. Note that I tried some EQ on my portable but that only made them boomier. I even tried a portable amp on them though I admit that it wasn't very high quality & added a fair amount of noise to the sound. That gave me no more extension than the portable already had though except for the noise did nearly match the sound otherwise.

Jan 25, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks everyone for your comments - I decided to get them. So, I just ordered the ER-4Ps from earplugstore.com for $175 (I found them for $155 on erwincomp.com and $165 on amazon.com, but I've dealt with earplugstore.com before and they have a 30-day return policy
biggrin.gif
). I'm excited, can't wait until they come. I'll post again after listening for a bit.

I'm also thinking of getting some PX-100s for when I can't wear IEMs, such as at work when people need to get my attention (I'm a tutor). Maybe I'll start a new thread about that.

Thanks again, everyone.

Dan

Jan 25, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 10
Excellent choice. Based on your musical tastes you'll like them. I think Imogen Heap and Frou Frou sound fantastic on them. I also like John Mayer, but haven't played any on my ER-4Ps.

Currently listening to Rock Kills Kid on it, with my new LDM, and the details are amazing
etysmile.gif

2q35h7b.jpg

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #10 of 10
My biggest problem with the ER-4P is that recordings always sound like recordings. Never a sense of "this is real" from the IEM. It is really disappointing. I've gone from really liking them to thinking about not using them anymore due to this. It could be the ER-4P's odd decay. The "air" is never correct around instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back