Etymotic ER-4P to ER-4S Adapter Cable
Oct 26, 2004 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm creating a portable setup.

Two part post actually:

Question about my current ER-6s:
I currently have a pair of ER-6 which I enjoy, but the right side seems to be going out on them. I think they just need a new filter, but the sound volume is definetly weak on that side. Does that sound something replaced by a filter? Anyway to troubleshoot without buying a filter and replacement tool?

Question about the ER4P:
In the event that they are broke, (or because I'm dumb when it comes to audio purchases) I'm thinking of getting the Etys ER4P with the ER4P to ER4S adapater cable. That way I can amp them when I want, or run them directly out of an iPod when I don't want to carry an amp. Best of both worlds right?

So my question is, does the cable really bring them up to the level of the ER4S, or is this just a gimmick. Does anyone have that setup and can give me some comparison opinions?

How does the ER4P sound unamped? How does it sound amped without the cable? How does it sound with the cable and amped? And the million dollar question, when you use it WITH the cable and an amp, does it sound that much better than WITHOUT the cable and amp? And does the real ER4S sound even better?

I swear, portable audio is harder to set up than home audio.

Oct 26, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 29
The cable does make a difference and it does make it equivalent. Sounds nice. I was able to drive the 4S without an amp but volumes are set a bit high to do it. It sounded great though. If I were to do it all over again, I would just buy the 4S as I never use the 4P without the cable. Others may have a different opinion on this.

dshea
etysmile.gif

Oct 26, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
The cable does make a difference and it does make it equivalent. Sounds nice. I was able to drive the 4S without an amp but volumes are set a bit high to do it. It sounded great though. If I were to do it all over again, I would just buy the 4S as I never use the 4P without the cable. Others may have a different opinion on this.

dshea
etysmile.gif

See that's kind of my question. Am I better off getting the 4S over the 4P + cable? I can forsee times when I don't want to carry an amp with an ipod, such as of I'm excercising or what not. But most of the time, I probably will be amped...

I guess the real question is: Does the 4S unamped sound "a lot worse" than the unamped 4P without a cable?

Oct 26, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by TWIFOSP
I guess the real question is: Does the 4S unamped sound "a lot worse" than the unamped 4P without a cable?

I had the 4P's with the adaptor, and never got around to buying the amp. I found that the Ety's had even thinner bass, and harsher highs with the S adaptor. I also decided that the "benefit" of carrying around an amp that is the same size as my ipod, is not worth it. I like a minimalist setup, and the sonic benefits of spending $500 extra for the amp+sik din+p-s adaptor is just NOT enough to be worth it.

My opinion, mind you.

Oct 26, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 29
The cable is not a gimmick. It gives you exactly an ER-4S. You should be able to use the Search function to find lots of posts confirming this, but in brief it goes like this: The 4S has a certain amount of impedance built into the cable which helps to shape the frequency response. The 4P has a lesser amount of impedance built into its cable, so it has both a lower power requirement and a different frequency response. The 4P->4S cable adds back the impedance that's missing from the 4P cable, that's all.

The 4S has a flatter, more neutral, and to my ears much more correct frequency response than the 4P. But that doesn't mean that everybody likes it better. You might like the 4P sound better than the 4S sound, or you might prefer the 4S sound.

I find that the sound improves substantially with an amp, regardless of whether you are listening to the S or P flavor. And a good amp improves it more than a less-good amp. I notice more difference with the S, but in part that's just because I don't like the P as much and don't listen to it very much.

I think starting with the 4P and adding the 4P->4S cable later is a perfectly reasonably strategy. You might decide you like the 4P as-is. Or you might decide to buy a Xin amp that has a 4P->4S converter built right in.

Oct 26, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #6 of 29
one point that should be mentioned is that, at least as i understand it, the er4p has a different, less microphonic cord, as it is intended for portable use. so that would be an added advantage to getting the 4p with converter cable rather than just the 4s.

you might want to double-check on this, though... i may be misinformed.

Oct 26, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 29
That's the information I have too. I have both the ER-4P with the current braided cord and an older ER-4P with the old-style rubbery cord which I believe is the same as the ER-4S cord, and I like the cord the ER-4P is shipping with now much better.

Oct 26, 2004 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 29
Just a thought...I'm waiting on some reviews but the SuperMacro has an "S" switch to accomplish the P->S and seems perfect. If you don't need the amp and/or don't want the cable, Xin has a plug/adapter that will do the trick without all the extra cable on the fixup.net site. Can't remember the price....think it was 29.95.

Oct 26, 2004 at 11:25 PM Post #10 of 29
Yep, not-so-old er4P has the braided cord, which has less microphonics/occlusion. And cable does make er4P into er4S. I've only heard the er4P, and it sounded great for a portable. But for critical/stationary use, I would think the S is better. With the P, I could tell that the potential of the sound need to be "freed" somehow.

Oct 27, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 29
I have had the ER-4P for almost 3 years now that I use exclusivley at home with a Cosmic amp. I bought the adapter cable from Ety when they first introduced it and I've only used it a few times since then. I much prefer the sound of the P to the S. The bass is fuller and the highs sound more natural to me. I suggest you buy the P and then at a later date buy one of the after market adapters available.

MJ

Oct 27, 2004 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 29
Cool. I'm going to replace the filters on my er6 to see if that cures my channel issue, but i'm going to seriously consider the ER4P now. Having the option of good sound without an amp is appealing, but there is always the option of increasing the fidelity should I want to. I like that.

As far as critical stationary listening, I've got my 3ks & home rig for that. Now I just need to stop buying portable gear and get that wooaudio amp....
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:05 AM Post #13 of 29
I think the P's sound better than the S unamped. Unamped out of my PCDP, the S sound pretty gross. I'm going to make a P->S adapter for my friend soon and I'll be able to compare his P with S adapter to my S and see how it turns out.

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Natsuiro
I think the P's sound better than the S unamped. Unamped out of my PCDP, the S sound pretty gross.

Heh, you can only assume, since the insane impedence difference... especially since they are the same phones(right?), so the effeciency should the same...

BTW, isn't that my avatar? I made it, decided it needed a border, so it slapped it on there... Look to the left of this post
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 29
I've actually made the conversion cable for my headphones, and I noticed something interesting when I used these on headphones other than the etymotics:

Bass is less grainy on the Grado SR60's with this adapter, and unnecessary emphasis on hiss in recordings disappears. I actually prefer this sound.

I may be speaking out of my ass, but this is my perception at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back