Etymotic Custom Tips- Who's gotten them?
Jul 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GimmeCans

Head-Fier
Have a pair of Etymotic HF3s and have the following observations regarding the tips:
  1. The triple flange eartips don't work for me at all, even the smaller ones. The left ear is fine, the right won't go in far enough to get a seal.
  2. The foam tips work well but aren't very comfortable.
  3. The "glider" tips work well and provide excellent isolation but seem to come apart after a few insertion/removal cycles. I don't want to be leaving a piece behind in my ear at some point.

Comply foam tips seem to be working well but, like most of the tips are "fussy" to get right. If they aren't totally in (and I mean ONE HUNDRED PERCENT), isolation suffers significantly. Just wondering if anyone here had had custom tips made and what the results were. Hoping they might solve the "fussiness" problem. Thanks!

Jul 20, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 13
http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-245-iems-compared-phonak-pfe-232-added-07-05-12#post_6492055

Review of the hf5 with and without custom tips in that thread, you'll have to  scroll down to find it.

Cheers

Jul 20, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 13
You could use one of the larger gray for your left ear, and one of the smaller semi-clear tips for the right ear.  You have to just get used to the deeper insertion so that you do get a seal.  Also as your continue to use the same tips, the ear wax will slowly make the tips a bit softer, making it easier to get a good seal as it more easily conforms to the shape of your ear canal.

Jul 20, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Comply Foam tips form to the inner ear canal very nicely.
Give em a shot.
Jim

This is true...  However, they also wear out way too quickly for me, so I stick to triple flanges...  Although they are a little less comfortable, they create a similar seal for me.

Jul 20, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #7 of 13
Once again, Shure "Olives". They isolate as well and sound a little better than the Ety triple-flanges the few times I endured to properly insert the Etys.

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
Have a pair of Etymotic HF3s and have the following observations regarding the tips:
  1. The triple flange eartips don't work for me at all, even the smaller ones. The left ear is fine, the right won't go in far enough to get a seal.
  2. The foam tips work well but aren't very comfortable.
  3. The "glider" tips work well and provide excellent isolation but seem to come apart after a few insertion/removal cycles. I don't want to be leaving a piece behind in my ear at some point.

Comply foam tips seem to be working well but, like most of the tips are "fussy" to get right. If they aren't totally in (and I mean ONE HUNDRED PERCENT), isolation suffers significantly. Just wondering if anyone here had had custom tips made and what the results were. Hoping they might solve the "fussiness" problem. Thanks!

I have them for both my hf2's and hf3's. here they are as part of my "On the road" rig

I spend about 5 hours per day with the hf3's and my iPhone 4S. I drive 1000 miles per week for work so I use them both for music and for using the phone. The hf2's are for the Droid Razr. Compared to the stock flanges the ACS custom's are fabulous. It took about 4 weeks from getting the molds done to receiving them. ACS keep a digital of the mold so you can order replacements for up to 5 years without having to go back to the Audiologist. Highly recommended!  
ksc75smile.gif

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 13
Thanks everyone.

Neither of the flange tips work in my right ear, even the small one is VERY uncomfortable. The left works with the small tip. The large tip, forget it.
As I mentioned, the Comply tips ("original" style) work pretty well. Just wondered what results people had with the custom ones. longbowbbs seems pretty pleased...

Jul 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Thanks everyone.

Neither of the flange tips work in my right ear, even the small one is VERY uncomfortable. The left works with the small tip. The large tip, forget it.
As I mentioned, the Comply tips ("original" style) work pretty well. Just wondered what results people had with the custom ones. longbowbbs seems pretty pleased...

I would order them again in a heartbeat. Simple and inexpensive upgrade. The only downside is you need patience while they are made and shipped.....It does take about 4 weeks from molds to their arrival.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 13
I have the customs tips but find them comber some to use as I need to remove them a lot when at work so I almost always SHURE OLIVES with my HF3 much more durable and long lasting as compared to comply tips.

If you don't have to worry about removing the customs tips they might be a good option though, the are very good for isolation.

Jul 22, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #12 of 13
Before I received my custom tips for my hf3, I had the best fit with the small shure olives, which a lot of people recommend. For me, the customs are a huge improvement. They are super quick to put in, just a little turn forward and they seal right away. The custom's are also considerably more comfortable. Since they are fitted to your ear canal,they don't need to go super deep to create a seal. I forget I'm even wearing them, while with the olives, or foam tips, I could always feel them in there.

The customs also are compatable with the ER-4, and will work with iem's with the same stem size. I would definitely go for them.

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:21 AM Post #13 of 13
[size=18.399999618530273px]tlgthe4th[/size]

Your tagline is way to close to the mark....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back