ETY ER6, the first 5 minutes
May 8, 2002 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

legoman

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so one shouldn't post stuff after 5 minutes, especially not from an unamped, portable md, but hey, it is new toy fever. Initial thoughts:

- Seal no problem (i already had experience with the ety ear plugs) (or so i think, this board is full of stories along the lines "i thought i had a seal, but then..."), but silicon tips almost disappear in my ear, better check if the other tips are bigger. can't wait to try to foam tips.

- Listening to some upright bass track. strange, it almost seems to come from the back of my throat :)

- So far, so good. Better get to work....

May 8, 2002 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 10
man, those foam tips are abrasive....
i prefer the silicone tips by a mile. they just slide right in and out. but they are too small, i think. i'm afraid they will have to drag the er6 out of my ear canal one day. are there jumbo tips for the er6? insulation is less than i expected. but this should be helpful in practice. at least i can still hear the phone/door knocks, albeit quite softly.

May 8, 2002 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 10
Ety customer support is superfast answering emails (2hrs or so):

" [..]
There is currently only one size of flanged eartip available for use with
the ER-6 earphones, and the eartips for the ER-4 will not fit the ER-6.
There is significant cost involved in designing and manufacturering
additional flanged eartips, so at this point in time there are no plans to
develop additional flanged eartips.
As long as you able to get a good seal and are not causing any discomfort
in your ear due to the deep insertion, I see no problem with continuing to
use the flanged eartip if that is what you prefer.
[...]"

Ok, I think I'm sold on this Ety thing, except on my right ear I can't get rid of that "pressure" feeling, I mean a good seal always has some pressure, but on the right ear even the old squeeze-your-nose-shut-and-try-to-breathe-out-through-it equalization trick doesn't seem to work. oh well.....

It is really weird though, my ears feel plugged, but the sound is clear and not muffled, and my brain keeps telling me that these two things are contradictory
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2002 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 10
I think we will eventually have a larger eartip (it is on our list of things to do). I wouldn't hold your breath though. These things take time.

All you need is a seal. Some people need a deep insertion others don't.

You don't like the foam eartips because they are abrasive, or some other reason. Try rolling them down and inserting them, instead of just sqeezing them.

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

May 9, 2002 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 10
I would buy some ER6's right now.....

But they are too small for me.

I tried the Koss ones, and they would not seal, because of my large ear canal. I tried custom foam tips for the Koss, and then learned how terrible the Koss Plugs sound.

I would go for the ER4's, but they are too pricey for what they are.

May 9, 2002 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 10
i love canalphones, especially my ex-70s, and i want etys, but i have been told that the er6 are lifeless sounding..... and any time i ask them to compare them to say, the v6, and their bass, i can never get a straight answer
frown.gif
. could anybody compare the er6 to the ex-70 and v6???? please?
thanks,
chris

May 9, 2002 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 10
You're in luck a1leyez0nm3, because I have owned all three at one time or another.

EX-70: Shrieking treble, tubby bloated bass, ...midrange? No amount of mods made these a headphone worth even half its price.

ER-6: The VERY flat frequency respone is noticeable on these headphones. This headphone has absolutely no opinion about the music that you play. For many, that's a good thing, for me, it's not. I really like visceral bass, and I don't mind if it's overdone so long as it's not too warm. I think the ER-6's would work great from a very good source and amp, but out of the Panasonic 570, they just sort of sat there with all my music except for ambient music, which does not really have much in the way of frequency extremes. For artists like Robert Rich, Lull, Brian Eno, etc. the transparent listening experience was wonderful. Alas, I do not listen to this music through my headphones much, as I use it to go to sleep, and I can't tolerate headphones for sleeping.

MDR-V6: My current favorite headphone. A very strong, deep bass, great for rock and hiphop, plenty of treble detail (sometimes too much) a reasonably well presented midrange, sturdy as a tank, inexpensive. They can be powered easily through a portable, but if you listen to bass heavy music, an outboard amp will control the lows much more effectively, and reign in the sometimes peaky treble. They have a very narrow soundstage, so if you like an airy presentaion, these aren't the headphones for you.

May 9, 2002 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 10
We make a large (dropped the "jumbo" name) foam eartip for the ER-4. It is 17mm diameter, and has helped with some customers with very large ear canals. The foam is a little too thick for the ER-6, but I could modify some if someone needed them.

We will also have an adapter soon that will allow one to use the ER-6 with Musician's earplugs earmolds (ER-9, 15, 25).

Don Wilson
Etymotic Research

Users who are viewing this thread

Back