Ety ER-4P with Ipod?
Jan 10, 2005 at 3:07 PM Post #16 of 19
Ety 4P's do sound good on an iPod. But I've found myself wanting more (as tends to happen here
smily_headphones1.gif
).

The problem is the iPod itself. The Ety-4 resolution is way better than an earbud or cheap full size can. But this starts to show up the other weak links in the chain.

Once my ears were used to all the fabulous new detail in the music (and loving it) I found I wanted to use higher bit rates (I'm using MP3 lame VBR preset extreme at the moment 220ish kbps). MP3 lame VBR r3mix sounded just horrible.

Even at high bit rate or uncompressed loud complex passages can sound muddled and harsh because of the relatively lo-fi nature of the internal iPod amp. Some people reckon other mp3 players have better amps but until Xin makes his audiophile mp3 player I doubt any would really do justice to Ety 4p's or other higher end headphones.

Ety 4P's bass is very neutral (i.e. not at all emphasised) and clear and extended way down but you don't *feel* the bass thumping - you just hear it. That coupled with the relatively feeble iPod amp makes the combo very bass light for me. Some say that the Shure's are much better with an iPod for this reason - I'm hoping to try some Shure's soon.

I've tried iPod + Xin SuperMin + Ety4P but still found this a bit disappointing. Xin's new SuperMono has been very highly rated but my main problem is that I don't trust the sound quality of any DAP (I've briefy tried iRiver/Rio Karma + Ety4P).

My next system is radical and should be very different.

iRiver 140 + Aos Flute DAC/amp + Ety 4s OR Shure e5c

A more expensive and less portable setup though
plainface.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #17 of 19
I think some people simply expect more bass than the er-4 produces. I could tell you all day they have enough bass but you just might not agree. I find the bass to be awesome even coming out of an Iriver H320, and even better when coming out of a cdp into an amp... but other people just don't think so.

If you are extremely concerned with the bass response I'd look elsewhere. Chances are they won't fit your needs. However if you are only concerned with the bass because of what you've read on here you might be ok. They don't have the same "kick" as some other phones, but they definitely aren't bass shy. I've even found the bass overwhelming on a few bass heavy tracks when coming out of my amp.

So if you're looking for something crystal clear you're looking in the right place. If you want them to sound like a jeep with 4 12" subs in the back... you're completely off.

Jan 19, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #18 of 19
Are you able to get enough volume with the ER4P and Ipod? I am currently using a 4G Ipod with the ER6i and rarely go beyond 2/3 on the volume bar. I see that the ER4P are less efficient, though, and wonder whether the Ipod runs out of steam trying to drive them. Perhaps battery life will suffer too with the amp maxed out?

Jan 19, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #19 of 19
I also rarely use more than 2/3rd volume with ER4P and a 2nd gen iPod so there's no problem there.

The ER4S may be less sensitive though - I'm about to order a 4P-4S conversion cable so will find out fairly soon. I think I've read reports than ER4S can be driven loudly enough but that the sound lacks bunch and really needs an amp or a better source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back