Ety 4S and Ipod???
Sep 11, 2003 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

purk

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,
Lately, I've been listening to my music on the go, so I am wondering if the 2nd Gen. Ipod have enough juice to power the Ety-4s w/o external amplification? Shold I go for the "P" instead of the "S" since I have the Maxed out Meta42, and Perreaux amp at home? Help me guys!!

Sep 11, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 12
IMO go with the P, it's easier to drive, has more bass and you can use it without the amp if need be. If you don't like it, you can always get the P to S adapter from fixup.net for about 25$.

If you get the S and it won't drive them well, you'll always have to use the amp with it.

Sep 11, 2003 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 12
i think there are a few members here who use the er-4s/ipod combo and like it. as long as you're not looking for monster bass i think it works.

Sep 11, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 12
I just joined the ETY 4P club. It will be here tomorrow. Can't wait. I had bad fit issue w/ the 4S b/f but I would like to give it another try.

BTW, will Fixup 4p to 4s adapter match the company's one?

Purk

Sep 11, 2003 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 12
I just asked that question in here the other day and I guess the only difference is that the adapter is smaller and 40$ less than Ety's P to S cable.

Sep 11, 2003 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 12
I have both the S and P Etys, and I prefer the 4P with the iPod. The wise choice, if you can afford it, is to get the P with the S adapter. The P by itself is pretty damned good.
biggrin.gif

Sep 11, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 12
Joe,

My wallet is crying b/c of you! I went back and looked at the thread "Rank from 1 to 10" and saw that you ranked the 4P w/ Ipod higher than the CD3K.

How about the ER-4s vs. ER-4P w/ proper amplification? Which is better?

Sep 11, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 12
The time I read someone saying something about "bass being even more defined and greater extension" with the S vs. the P almost made me impulse buy a fixup adapter. But then I had plenty of other things to occupy my time. This thread just reminded me of that. Anyone have comments on this?

If I remember correctly, the thread I read had a few people mentioning the bass on the 4S to be almost opposite to what you would be led to believe by the Etymotic description. I got the impression that what they were saying was that when properly driven, the 4S actually has more bass. I could be wrong. Someone correct me.

Sep 11, 2003 at 9:28 PM Post #9 of 12
I've use my 4S with my iPod unamped, but it's a 1st gen model. I decided to get the 4S vice the 4P and have to get the adaptor later, which you might as well get because you'll get the hook from other 4S owners. The only phones I have in comparison on the iPod is the KSC-30s, and the etys are far ahead of course. Usual use: on the train, unamped, at home, amped (CHA47 or META42).

Sep 12, 2003 at 1:22 AM Post #11 of 12
on some recordings the ipod is ok.

but on quiet recordinfgs like tracy chapman's first album it hasnt got the drive. i use the 4p's "neat" then. and the 4's for most things else if i am walking.

using the xin at home or on, say a train...............
biggrin.gif

sher heaven with the amp and the line out from the dock!
i cant wait to try it on my home setup!

Sep 12, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by purk
Joe,

My wallet is crying b/c of you! I went back and looked at the thread "Rank from 1 to 10" and saw that you ranked the 4P w/ Ipod higher than the CD3K.

Wow, I did that? That was then, but now I'd have to rank the CD3000/EMP higher.
Quote:

Originally posted by purk

How about the ER-4s vs. ER-4P w/ proper amplification? Which is better?

I prefer the ER-4S with proper amplification, such as the Sugden. They're pretty damned close, but The sound from the 4S is more refined than the P with a more extended high end. The bass is also a bit smoother and more in balance with the rest of the sound spectrum. At least that's what I hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back