Essential Classical DVD Performances
Jun 20, 2008 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DarkAngel

DarkAngel's a man, baby!
I don't normally watch classical DVDs because my main stereo is seperate system from my TV.......but there are some really great performances available now, some not available in CD format, lets make everyone aware of them!

418c3VWACsL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Karajan/BPO Beethoven 9th 1977
This was a New Years eve performance and is included in the full LVB DG set from 1977. In my top 5 Beethoven 9ths I often post here this always ranks as my top version......and now you can see and hear why! Interesting to see that Karajan spends much time with his eyes closed while conducting

A furious climax you have to see to believe.
Karajan has never been this animated or powerful, the 4 soloists are superb especially Anna Tomowa-Sintow

3147yHhYxFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Karajan/VPO Bruckner 8th (1979) & 9th (1978)

Karajan always produces great Bruckner 8th performances and here we have one not available on CD, a beautiful setting at Baroque church St Florians.
Bruckners spent time here as student and teacher, I love the spacious dimensional sound and as usual the performance is a great one by Karajan.
Some may like his final 1987 VPO performance better but this is very close and the setting seals the deal for me.

The VPO 9th is my favorite by Karajan, and that is saying something since he has many great ones! A night performance with lit chandeliers and glowing gold statuary, beautiful setting. I truely feel this rivals the Giulini/DG 9th, the towering climaxes achieved by Karajan have tremendous power, what a performance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back