Essence STX EQ Settings for Grado SR-80i?... or just a different pair?
Apr 4, 2012 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Strangelove424

500+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I built a computer recently and installed a Xonar Essence STX. This computer was to be the center of my entertainment system – especially music.  I usually like warm, sweet sounding speakers, and am enjoying the sound card’s digital out, but figured I should take advantage of the onboard amp, and the enormous price/sound ratio in good headphones.  I wanted something accurate, precise, and the opposite of my warm speakers, so I purchased Grado SR-80is. When I initially put them on, and played Beatles Revolver, my ears hurt from the brightness. I was about to fill out the Amazon return on spot. I thought this was the most over-hyped kool-aid ever. But I gave it the benefit of the doubt, let them play for 2 hours unattended, and picked them up again later with Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds Live Acoustic. What I experienced after that was pure bliss. I could hear the picking in a way I never did before and the elongated strums had sublime depth. The kool-aid is indeed good. I’m sure you’ve all heard it before, based on the reviews I read, but I could hear the inhalation of singers before a note (that’s a real treat with Norah Jones), random claps in the audience at live concerts in the middle of jams (and know what row they were at), the striking of drums scared the crap out of me, just really wild stuff I’ve never heard before in music unless it was live. They can also seduce you with the smooth mids.  My only issue is I still find them a bit bright. I’ve done the audiophile sin of EQing the headphones when they're amped. I’ve attached a screenshot of that EQ actually, hoping there are other Grado owners with the popular Xonar STX card who could try these settings out or recommend any they were using on their own. To my ear, this EQ does not lose any detail but kicks the high-strung resonant feel that comes out with music like the Beatles (which I play a lot, and is a lot of the reason I feel Grados are bright – might be old/bad recording, don’t know) Also, am I better off taking something near-perfect like the Grados and adjusting them, or is there something around $150 that will sound like Grados minus a hint of the imo occasional resonant brightness?  

Aug 26, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 2
Though no one replied, I think I should give a late-breaking update to anyone who might read this later on while doing research:

Change the freaking op amps! The stock one's are harsh, especially with a bright headphone. I put in 2xLME49860s and now the sound in perfect to my ears. EQing is no longer necessary, and now makes the Grados sound a bit worse, robbing them of their sparkle and energy. The LME49860s sound very lush to me, with a thick but accurate mid-range and tamed highs. There is more bass than the stock op amps, but its not quite as accurate. That's the only downside. I've been having a blast with the Grados ever since the swap, which have been getting better and better through break in. They still hit areas of brightness - with old Beatles recordings it can still get harsh, but nothing close to the harshness of the original op amps. I've purchased more headphones since I built the computer, but remain a die hard Grado fan, and plan to get the RS1s after I'm done experimenting with other makes. In the meantime, the STX (with a little modding) has been a blessing. It gave me a new hobby, and the price/performance ratio of headphone gear blows speakers out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back