ER6i Headphones with Phone
Jul 8, 2008 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dysphasi

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, dropped the gf off at the airport and she realised she'd forgotten her phone, consequently she'd got no music to listen to so muggins handed over the ipod.

Now I'm left with my HTC touch dual telephone and a headphone adapter I got from eBay:

attachment.php

...and my Etymotic ER6i headphones which have to date provided me with stunning audio quality.

Only problem -- hiss, and a lot of it! Now I know that my headphones are very sensitive, if there's a less than perfect audio connection involved hiss does occur.

As such, I'm wondering if anyone else out there has similar experience (with this or any other phone using a mini USB to headphone adapter), or indeed no issues at all and could recommend a better headphone adapter (pref with mic).

Thanks in advance!

Jul 14, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #2 of 5
Go to radioshack and get an inline volume control and add some resistance to that cable. It should get rid of the hiss.

Jul 14, 2008 at 8:37 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the tip.

That's actually what I was thinking of trying out. Makes sense, reduce the noise, up the volume on the music player. Unfortunately we don't have radio shacks in the uk, closest we've got is the pretty abysmal maplins.

However, I discovered the main problem is that this adapter's mic doesn't work...typical!
frown.gif

So off it goes to be returned, I'm going to try to get a similar adapter with a volume control inbuilt this time, I'll report on my findings in case anyone else finds themselves in a like position.

Jul 14, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by dysphasi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tip.

That's actually what I was thinking of trying out. Makes sense, reduce the noise, up the volume on the music player. Unfortunately we don't have radio shacks in the uk, closest we've got is the pretty abysmal maplins.

However, I discovered the main problem is that this adapter's mic doesn't work...typical!
frown.gif

So off it goes to be returned, I'm going to try to get a similar adapter with a volume control inbuilt this time, I'll report on my findings in case anyone else finds themselves in a like position.

The aforementioned Maplin will sell you an inline volume control, though I agree they're pretty useless. Ebay might be a good source though.

Jul 16, 2008 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 5
Returned that first adapter for refund and ordered a different sort, as seen below:
Headphone_Adapter_Tytn2+Volume_11.jpg

Completely different story, sliding the volume control on the adapter right down and upping the device volume allows for clear sound and zero hiss. I'm a happy chappy
biggrin.gif

The microphone even works...bonus!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

nb. for anyone who's interested:
A long press on the button initiates voice dial and hangs up.
Double tapping it calls the last number dialed.
A single tap will put the other person on hold during a call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back