ER4P > HF5? Are you sure?
Feb 20, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #31 of 58
Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also find them similar but they are different drivers. ER-4 is crisper, tighter and a bit more delineated. Sort of sounds faster. The HF5 can have a somewhat friendlier, less etched presentation. A bit less ruthless of lesser associations. If I had to live with something at around $100, the HF5 would be a contender.

You appear to be right that they have different drivers.

Feb 20, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #32 of 58
Having been around here 12 years my understanding is that

ER4S and ER4P have exact same drivers.  Cable impedance is the difference.    Many purchase the ER4P then buy the 6" 100ohm cable adaptor to turn it into a ER4S.....its that simple. 

The consumer price of ER4P was reduced from $300 to $200 maybe back in 2008.

In 2012?, in an effort to get more profit from their most popular model, they started charging $300 again for the ER4P and added an "authentic" certificate that each driver was matched to exact perfect same frequency abilities from one another.

HF5 is also same driver as ER4P but slightly more efficient for non-amp applications.  (some prefer HF5 to ER4P for smoother sound...not as harsh extended trebles but still very revealing and detailed).

For no amp on the go, HF5 definitely the best choice.  ER4P and ER4S are both gonna do you better while amped.  (ER4S definitely moreso....needs amp).

Feb 21, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #34 of 58
  Having been around here 12 years my understanding is that

ER4S and ER4P have exact same drivers.  Cable impedance is the difference.    Many purchase the ER4P then buy the 6" 100ohm cable adaptor to turn it into a ER4S.....its that simple. 

The consumer price of ER4P was reduced from $300 to $200 maybe back in 2008.

In 2012?, in an effort to get more profit from their most popular model, they started charging $300 again for the ER4P and added an "authentic" certificate that each driver was matched to exact perfect same frequency abilities from one another.

HF5 is also same driver as ER4P but slightly more efficient for non-amp applications.  (some prefer HF5 to ER4P for smoother sound...not as harsh extended trebles but still very revealing and detailed).

For no amp on the go, HF5 definitely the best choice.  ER4P and ER4S are both gonna do you better while amped.  (ER4S definitely moreso....needs amp).

75ohm. Also, have you heard the MK5? And where did you see that HF and ER have the same driver?

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #35 of 58
I thought I read many many years back that is was general knowledge.  Surely I could be wrong.  It DOES seem apparent that it takes a pretty keen ear to distinguish notable differences and most seem to think that  sets the HF and ER series apart are the relaxed QC tolerances for resistor capacitance figures, which could easily account for the minor loss of overall bandwidth. Whereas an ER4PT's 18 ohm resistors are tightly matched, an HF3's probably doesn't go through the same amount of scrutiny.  Is this possible?

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #36 of 58
Fwiw I own the er4p's w/p to s adapter, and hf3's. The don't sound exactly the same. But awful close. The er4's do have a little more clarity and air, with the hf3's a little smoother and warmer.

However I've recently found if I get the er4's in super far with the triple flange tips, I have unreal clarity with a loss of some bass. But the loss is totally worth it for the clarity. I can't get the HF's to do the same. So next step for me is the custom fit program. I do get a nice balance between the super clear sound and less bass using the glider tips. But want the super clear sound without the loss of bass.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #37 of 58
I wouldn't be so sure the HF series is the same as ER4P with more efficiency. You can actually change the cable on the ER4P and make it as efficient as the HF series, but it doesn't sound the same. The ER4P has more subbass and high treble than the HF series, so they may not have the same drivers. Though all in all, the differences are small...

i'll add this as illustration.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #38 of 58
Anyway.....I think the point was that $100 HF versus $300 ER seems WAAAAAAAAAY out of whack.......and based on what we are saying here I think that is a fair statement.  Granted it might cost a bit more with regards to tolerances to create the sound of a ER4 versus the warmer and slightly more relaxed HF5 but 3 X the cost?   And half seem to actually prefer the HF5.  Still plenty detailed but more forgiving.  Better ergonomics and less microphonic cable are bonuses.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #39 of 58
er4p is more durable and they actually do manual quality control on them. ER4P has removable cables and can be tuned to sound like the HF series with a regular cable, er4p with it's stock cable or er4s with it's cable. I wouldn't call that too whacky, Westone/Shure charge that much for the subpar double BAs. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #40 of 58
We agree to disagree.  That versatility is not worth that premium.  I suspect less than 10% of users "change" the way they use  ER4 with the exception of making it an S-version which they STILL charge more for.  At $300 it should be included no question.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #41 of 58
That all makes sense if we're only talking about the HF versus the ER series. But I think the MK5, at only $60, makes the other two series completely irrelevant for budget-minded consumers.

Quote:
  Anyway.....I think the point was that $100 HF versus $300 ER seems WAAAAAAAAAY out of whack.......and based on what we are saying here I think that is a fair statement.  Granted it might cost a bit more with regards to tolerances to create the sound of a ER4 versus the warmer and slightly more relaxed HF5 but 3 X the cost?   And half seem to actually prefer the HF5.  Still plenty detailed but more forgiving.  Better ergonomics and less microphonic cable are bonuses.

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #43 of 58
  We agree to disagree.  That versatility is not worth that premium.  I suspect less than 10% of users "change" the way they use  ER4 with the exception of making it an S-version which they STILL charge more for.  At $300 it should be included no question.

in like 2 years,the HF series will likely fail or begin, the ER4 should still be just fine. You'll actually save money in the long run and you can save money by just buying an ER4S cable on ebay or a resistor. 

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #44 of 58
  I have not heard the MK5.  Only read it was quite harsh and tough on the ears.  ER4 does that enough already  (LOL!)

with a poor fit..........

Feb 23, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #45 of 58
I don't see how people get poor fit wit the er4 I get great fit with the Grey and the white I currently don't have any of the frost on hand to try. Maybe I just have luck who knows...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back